Tire pressure Sensor Troubleshooting

In summary, there is a question about whether an aftermarket tire pressure sensor will work on a 2014 GTL motorcycle, as the OEM sensors are expensive and on back order. There are some concerns about compatibility and programming with the motorcycle's control module. Suggestions for further information and potential solutions can be found on motorcycle forums and through temporary alternatives on Amazon.
Stonestreecty
TL;DR Summary
Tire pressure sensor for my K1600 motorcycle.
Good day, all
I have a K1600 motorcycle. Will an after market tire pressure sensor work on a 2014 GTL? Dealers are crazy expensive and was told today that they are on back order. After search the TPMS Sensor Guide, I've new tires ready to be mounted, but a little confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Surely there must be motorcycle websites that discuss this very issue. We likely will not have someone intimately familiar with TPMS technology for motorcycles.

Stonestreecty
You have to be careful with aftermarket TPMS monitors. Some flat out will not be able to communicate with the motorcycle's OEM control module or they might not be able to be programmed with the mechanics TPMS remote when installing.

1. How do I know if my tire pressure sensor is malfunctioning?

There are a few common signs that may indicate a malfunctioning tire pressure sensor. These include a constantly illuminated tire pressure warning light on your dashboard, inaccurate readings on your tire pressure monitoring system, or a sudden drop in tire pressure. If you experience any of these issues, it is recommended to have your sensor checked by a professional.

2. Can a tire pressure sensor be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

In most cases, a malfunctioning tire pressure sensor will need to be replaced rather than repaired. This is because the sensors are sealed units and cannot be opened or fixed. However, it is always best to consult with a professional to determine the best course of action for your specific sensor.

3. How often should I check my tire pressure sensors?

Tire pressure sensors should be checked at least once a month or before long trips. It is also important to check them after any significant changes in temperature or if you notice any issues with your tire pressure. Regularly checking your sensors can help prevent potential malfunctions and ensure your tires are properly inflated.

4. Can a tire pressure sensor be affected by extreme temperatures?

Yes, extreme temperatures can affect the accuracy of your tire pressure sensor. In cold weather, the air inside your tires contracts, causing a decrease in tire pressure which may trigger the sensor. In hot weather, the air inside your tires expands, causing an increase in tire pressure which may also trigger the sensor. It is important to regularly check your tire pressure in extreme temperatures to ensure it is at the recommended level.

5. How much does it cost to replace a tire pressure sensor?

The cost of replacing a tire pressure sensor can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle and the type of sensor needed. On average, the cost can range from $50 to $250 per sensor. It is recommended to consult with a professional for an accurate estimate based on your specific vehicle.