LED lighting: new developments?

In summary, the person is looking for opinions on whether LED lamps are better than traditional light sources and whether they are worth the price. They also mention that personal opinion plays a big role in what type of light is best for someone.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone have ideas about the possibility of (12V) LED units with higher powers and better colour (/spectrum) for domestic situations?
I am reluctant to pay the high prices they are asking for the present ones if there is a possibility that something much better is on the horizon. This is for use on a boat, rather than in the home but I still would like a pleasant, relaxing, 'ambiance' rather than feeling I'm in some sort of Sci Fi film set.

Engineering news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
Does anyone have ideas about the possibility of (12V) LED units with higher powers and better colour (/spectrum) for domestic situations?
I am reluctant to pay the high prices they are asking for the present ones if there is a possibility that something much better is on the horizon. This is for use on a boat, rather than in the home but I still would like a pleasant, relaxing, 'ambiance' rather than feeling I'm in some sort of Sci Fi film set.

Greetings Sophiecentaur.

You might like to have a look at this site in Hong Kong.
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.917
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2933
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1205
and many more.

They have hundreds of LED lamps, many using a lot of individual LEDs.
Prices are in US dollars and include postage.

Have a look at their digital scales too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that information but I am really after some personal opinions about the actual quality of the room illumination. Adverts just don't tell you about that.

Some of the lamps have reviews attached to them. They seem to publish bad ones as well as good.

The lamps are cheap enough to get a few likely ones to try out. The colour temperature and light output figures in Lumens might give you a clue about which ones to get.
Lighting is pretty personal, so you can judge best what suits you.

I got some balances from them and they were very reliable and honest.

It was announced recently that OLEDs will be replaced by OLETs that are x10 more efficient. But by the time they hit the market it will be a few years.

There are also LED light panels. Used as ceiling or wall tiles they are a good alternative to CF lights although they are more expensive. They can be varied in output color and light "temperature" from daylight to the softer cooler temps.
They can be powered by AC or a battery that snaps in.

What are the benefits of LED lighting?

LED lighting has several benefits compared to traditional lighting options. These include energy efficiency, longer lifespan, lower heat emission, and the ability to produce a wide range of colors. LED lights also contain no harmful substances, making them a more environmentally friendly choice.

What are the latest developments in LED lighting technology?

Recent developments in LED lighting technology include advancements in efficiency and color accuracy. Manufacturers are also developing new ways to control and customize LED lighting, such as through smart home integration and color temperature adjustment.

How does LED lighting compare to other types of lighting in terms of energy efficiency?

LED lighting is highly energy efficient, using up to 80-90% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs. This makes them a cost-effective option in the long run, as they have a longer lifespan and require less frequent replacements.

What are some common applications of LED lighting?

LED lighting is used in a variety of applications, including residential and commercial lighting, automotive lighting, and outdoor lighting. They are also commonly used in electronic displays, such as TVs and computer screens, as well as in specialized medical and scientific equipment.

Are there any drawbacks to using LED lighting?

While LED lighting has many benefits, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider. Some people may experience sensitivity to the blue light emitted by LEDs, which can affect sleep patterns. Additionally, the initial cost of LED lighting may be higher than traditional options, although this is offset by their longer lifespan and energy efficiency.