Fixing Wire Problem in Nim Game Design

• Thread starter EEmajor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the designer is having trouble with one part of his game, a switch which doesn't output when the switch is off. He fixes the problem by connecting the switch with a resistor to ground.
EEmajor
Ok; so basically, I am creating the game of Nim through gate chips (AND/OR/NOT), switches, and yea all the basics.

I have pretty much completed designing and physically building the game but I have been having issues with one portion of the design -not the logic of the design.I have a regular wire coming out the output of a D flip-flop into an AND gate. I also have a resistor-LED coming off the output to ground to see the output of the flip-flop.When I physically touch the wire or get really close to the wire, the led lights up accordingly:

not touching but close = led flickers
touch the wire = led on
squeeze wire = led brighter

SOOO I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix this. (I can touch all other wires in the circuit and nothing happens.)
OH and I had the same problem using banana clip wires to switches but that problem was solved when I connected the switches using the regular wires.

Engineering news on Phys.org
EEmajor said:
Ok; so basically, I am creating the game of Nim through gate chips (AND/OR/NOT), switches, and yea all the basics.

I have pretty much completed designing and physically building the game but I have been having issues with one portion of the design -not the logic of the design.

I have a regular wire coming out the output of a D flip-flop into an AND gate. I also have a resistor-LED coming off the output to ground to see the output of the flip-flop.

When I physically touch the wire or get really close to the wire, the led lights up accordingly:

not touching but close = led flickers
touch the wire = led on
squeeze wire = led brighter

SOOO I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix this. (I can touch all other wires in the circuit and nothing happens.)

OH and I had the same problem using banana clip wires to switches but that problem was solved when I connected the switches using the regular wires.

Welcome to the PF.

If you leave CMOS logic gate inputs floating, you can see this type of behavior. The CMOS inputs are very high impedance when left unconnected, so static electricity and nearby parasitically-coupled 60Hz noise can make them switch their outputs. Always have something connected to logic gate inputs (tie off any unused inputs appropriately).

This circuit will determine who starts the game (computer or human) and will toggle the current turn after the clk is pressed (push button switch).

heres how I wired the diagram:

I think I have all the inputs connected? but the circuit reacts in the same way...

Attachments

• 537979_401712526514144_100000261994025_1517148_1955542694_n[1].jpg
    537979_401712526514144_100000261994025_1517148_1955542694_n[1].jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 378
EEmajor said:
This circuit will determine who starts the game (computer or human) and will toggle the current turn after the clk is pressed (push button switch).

heres how I wired the diagram:

I think I have all the inputs connected? but the circuit reacts in the same way...

And when the switches are open, what is connected to those inputs... ?

Sounds like you just need a pullup resistor.

thanx guys! I got the wire fixed some of my gates were bad apparently.

butta Berkeman

Ok so I have this basic switch which looks like

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00zbaQEhTqjtPO/Sub-Miniature-Toggle-Switch.jpg

When the switch is ON, current is allowed through the switch while when the switch is OFF, no current is allowed through the switch.

My problem is where when the switch is OFF. Seemingly, if you connect a switch CMOS logic gate, the input of the switch is floating rather than '0'. Is there a way to make the switch give an output of '0'?***********
nvm! I figured it out! I put a large value resistor connected to ground with the input from the switch which gave me a 0 and 1 output to the logic gates!THANKS!

Last edited:

1. How do I fix a wire problem in Nim game design?

To fix a wire problem in Nim game design, you will need to carefully analyze the game's code and identify where the issue is occurring. It could be a problem with the game's logic or a bug in the code. Once you have identified the specific issue, you can make the necessary changes to fix the wire problem.

2. What are some common causes of wire problems in Nim game design?

Wire problems in Nim game design can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect game logic, faulty code, or a lack of proper testing. It's important to thoroughly test your game and carefully review the code to identify and address any potential wire problems.

3. Can I prevent wire problems from occurring in my Nim game design?

While it's impossible to completely eliminate the risk of wire problems in any game design, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering them. This includes thorough testing, using reliable coding practices, and regularly reviewing and updating your game's code.

4. How can I test for wire problems in my Nim game design?

One effective way to test for wire problems in your Nim game design is to play through the game multiple times and carefully monitor for any unexpected behavior or glitches. You can also use debugging tools and techniques to identify and fix any issues that may arise.

5. Are there any resources available for fixing wire problems in Nim game design?

Yes, there are many resources available for fixing wire problems in Nim game design. You can consult online forums and communities, reach out to fellow game designers for advice, and refer to coding tutorials and guides for troubleshooting tips and techniques.