Build a Magnet Generator with 42 Gauge Wire

In summary: And you scrapped the enamel off?Does the wire have to be continuous?Electrically yes. Did you electrically connect the broken ends together?
Kbement
Hey everybody,

So I've decided to try and make a copper wire magnet generator (real small) for part of my senior design project. If I can get this to work I can potentially reduce my fixture significantly. Anyways, I purchased some real small wind turbine generators off the shelf to play with and see if I can recreate them using some 42 gauge magnet wire. The generator I purchased has no problem lighting up 3 LEDS and can actually output about 4 VAC if I just hook it straight up to the multi meter. I took the winding's off of the one I bought and tried winding my own just as a learning process for better understanding. Once I got a decent way through, probably 1000 windings, I tried to readout a voltage but according to my multi meter I've got nothing. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on what to try. Here's a few of my concerns;

Does the wire have to be continuous? (42 gauge easily breaks. Broke two times during winding)
Is 42 gauge just too small?

I'm using the off the shelf housing and magnet so the only variable other than that has to be the wire. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kbement said:
Hey everybody,

So I've decided to try and make a copper wire magnet generator (real small) for part of my senior design project. If I can get this to work I can potentially reduce my fixture significantly. Anyways, I purchased some real small wind turbine generators off the shelf to play with and see if I can recreate them using some 42 gauge magnet wire. The generator I purchased has no problem lighting up 3 LEDS and can actually output about 4 VAC if I just hook it straight up to the multi meter. I took the winding's off of the one I bought and tried winding my own just as a learning process for better understanding. Once I got a decent way through, probably 1000 windings, I tried to readout a voltage but according to my multi meter I've got nothing. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on what to try. Here's a few of my concerns;

Does the wire have to be continuous? (42 gauge easily breaks. Broke two times during winding)

I'm using the off the shelf housing and magnet so the only variable other than that has to be the wire. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Yeah, 42AWG is very small and fragile. I've used it in some comm transformer designs in the past, and it is very problematic.

What was the gauge of the wire you unwound? Can you post some pictures? 1000 turns sounds kind of high for a small power generator...

berkeman said:
Yeah, 42AWG is very small and fragile. I've used it in some comm transformer designs in the past, and it is very problematic.

What was the gauge of the wire you unwound? Can you post some pictures? 1000 turns sounds kind of high for a small power generator...

Thanks for the reply.

Here's a photo of the bought generator. The wire here is real thin as well. This photo is from online. The one I have seems to have even thinner wire but does well for the power output I need.

-font-b-AC-b-font-font-b-motor-b-font-wind-turbines-generator-Demonstration-generator.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-7_19-39-39.png
    upload_2017-3-7_19-39-39.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 577
Kbement said:
A splice is okay so long as the fat spot it makes doesn't abrade your insulation and create a shorted turn, or worse a short between two layers of turns.

Only for the reason you stated, it's too delicate to work with.

Of course you wound all the turns in same direction? No reversals at a repair?

old jim

Last edited:
Likes rbelli1
jim hardy said:
Of course you wound all the turns in same direction? No reversals at a repair?

old jim
And you scrapped the enamel off?

Likes rbelli1 and jim hardy
Kbement said:
Does the wire have to be continuous?

Electrically yes. Did you electrically connect the broken ends together?

BoB

1. How does a magnet generator with 42 gauge wire work?

A magnet generator with 42 gauge wire works by utilizing electromagnetic induction. The wire is wound around a magnet and when the magnet is rotated, it creates a magnetic field that induces an electric current in the wire. This current can then be used to power devices.

2. What materials are needed to build a magnet generator with 42 gauge wire?

To build a magnet generator with 42 gauge wire, you will need a strong magnet, a shaft or axle to rotate the magnet, 42 gauge wire, and a base to hold the components together. You may also need additional materials such as a power source, capacitors, and diodes depending on the specific design of the generator.

3. What are the benefits of using 42 gauge wire in a magnet generator?

42 gauge wire is thin and lightweight, making it easy to wrap around the magnet and create a compact generator. It also has a low resistance, which allows for efficient transfer of electricity. Additionally, 42 gauge wire is relatively inexpensive and readily available, making it a cost-effective option for building a magnet generator.

4. Can a magnet generator with 42 gauge wire produce enough electricity to power a home?

The amount of electricity produced by a magnet generator with 42 gauge wire depends on the strength of the magnet, the speed of rotation, and the number of windings of the wire. In most cases, it will not produce enough electricity to power a home on its own, but it can be used as a supplemental source of energy or combined with other generators to meet energy needs.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a magnet generator with 42 gauge wire?

It is important to handle the strong magnet with care when building the generator. The rotating parts should also be properly secured to prevent any accidents. Additionally, make sure to follow proper electrical safety protocols when connecting the generator to a power source. If you are unsure about the safety of your generator, it is best to consult a professional.