Just when I started to get things straught in my head.

• Thread starter bm0p700f
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for time dilation and its various interpretations in different sources. While the formula is the same, it is presented with different conventions for variable names. This can lead to confusion, but ultimately the concept of time dilation remains the same.
bm0p700f
http://www.fourmilab.ch/cship/timedial.html

Gives a formula for time dilation which is repeated in many other soucres. In this version t'/to increases with v. Its time dilation time is meant to slow?

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_time_dilation.htm

A useful set of pages for those wanting to learn. The derivation for time dilation is in the form I am familiar with as v increas t'/to decreases, time dilation I understand. Two different equations for the same thing cannot be right?

I don't solve problems with SR, I have never needed to but still I try to undersand. Can someone help resolve this apparent problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
bm0p700f said:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/cship/timedial.html

Gives a formula for time dilation which is repeated in many other soucres. In this version t'/to increases with v. Its time dilation time is meant to slow?

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_time_dilation.htm

A useful set of pages for those wanting to learn. The derivation for time dilation is in the form I am familiar with as v increas t'/to decreases, time dilation I understand. Two different equations for the same thing cannot be right?

I don't solve problems with SR, I have never needed to but still I try to undersand. Can someone help resolve this apparent problem.

They are both using the same formula, but different conventions for variable names. In the first page t' is the time on the moving ship for a stationary observer, and t is the observer's own time.

On the second page, T is the time of a tick on Zoe's clock as Jasper observes it, and T' is the time of a tick on the same clock, as Zoe sees it herself.

Thus the prime is used differently on the two pages. In the first page t' is time on a clock moving wrt to the observer; and on the second T' is the time on the observer's own clock.

Cheers -- sylas

It can be confusing to see different equations for the same concept in special relativity, but it is important to remember that they are all valid and describe the same phenomenon. The formula for time dilation, t'= t√(1-v^2/c^2), is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations and shows how time appears to pass slower for an observer moving at a high velocity relative to another observer.

The equation t'/to increases with v simply means that the time dilation effect becomes more significant as the velocity (v) increases. This is because the Lorentz factor, 1/√(1-v^2/c^2), becomes larger as v approaches the speed of light, resulting in a greater time dilation effect.

The important thing to understand is that both equations are correct and describe the same phenomenon. It is just a matter of which form is more convenient for a particular situation. So, don't get too caught up in trying to reconcile the two equations, just focus on understanding the concept of time dilation and how it is affected by velocity. Keep learning and exploring, and eventually it will all make sense.

1. What does the phrase "just when I started to get things straight in my head" mean?

The phrase refers to a moment when someone has finally understood or come to terms with a situation or problem, only to have something happen that disrupts that understanding.

2. Is "just when I started to get things straight in my head" a common saying?

Yes, it is a common phrase that is often used to express frustration or disappointment when things do not go as planned.

3. Can the phrase "just when I started to get things straight in my head" be used in a positive way?

Yes, the phrase can be used in a positive way to express a sense of overcoming a difficult situation and finally understanding it.

4. What is the origin of the phrase "just when I started to get things straight in my head"?

The origin of the phrase is not clear, but it is believed to have originated in the early 20th century.

5. How can I use the phrase "just when I started to get things straight in my head" in everyday conversation?

The phrase can be used in everyday conversation to express a sense of frustration, disappointment, or realization. For example, "Just when I started to get things straight in my head, my boss changed the project requirements again."