Using a Matching Transformer for 50 Ohm to 75 Ohm Coax

In summary, a Moxon design can get you to 50 Ohms from what you've read. A balun is needed to feed a balanced antenna like a dipole with an unbalanced feed line like coax.
chemic_23
hello, good afternoon. I'm a little bit confused about the use of matching transformer. I made a 50 ohm tv antenna, and i connected it to a 50 ohm coaxial line. However, I've found out that for tv applications, 75 ohm coax should be used. my question is, if i will replace my 50 ohm coax, can i use a matching transformer, that is, from 50 ohm antenna to my new 75 ohm coax? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
i wouldn't worry about it too much. the mismatch (if there is any) is not great.

To answer your question, yes. But wouldn't it be easier to put your matching transformer between your television and the 50 ohm cable? That way you wouldn't have to change your cable.

chemic_23 said:
hello, good afternoon. I'm a little bit confused about the use of matching transformer. I made a 50 ohm tv antenna, and i connected it to a 50 ohm coaxial line. However, I've found out that for tv applications, 75 ohm coax should be used. my question is, if i will replace my 50 ohm coax, can i use a matching transformer, that is, from 50 ohm antenna to my new 75 ohm coax? thanks

How did you make a 50 Ohm antenna?

berkeman said:
How did you make a 50 Ohm antenna?

Only a ham would post such a thing. I was thinking the exact same question. Haha

i was thinking of that too, but i couldn't find a 50 to 75 ohm matching transformer in our place hehe :D i designed it using the moxon calculator :D it is okay to use a 50 ohm coaxial cable for tv?

chemic_23 said:
i was thinking of that too, but i couldn't find a 50 to 75 ohm matching transformer in our place hehe :D i designed it using the moxon calculator :D it is okay to use a 50 ohm coaxial cable for tv?

Ah, a Moxon design. Yeah, that can get you to 50 Ohms, from what I've read. I haven't worked with Moxon type antennas in the past. Do they still need a Balun to go from unbalanced coax? Is the Moxon inherently unbalanced or balanced?

i've read that it's already balanced, but in some cases, a balun is needed. how do you exactly make a balun?

Last edited:
chemic_23 said:
i've read that it's already balanced, but in some cases, a balun is needed. how do you exactly make a balun?

To feed a balanced antenna like a dipole with an unbalanced feed line like coax, you need to use a balun ("balanced to unbalanced converter"). It is basically a transformer, and can have a turns ratio to match different feed line impedances to the antenna impedance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balun

1. What is a matching transformer?

A matching transformer is an electronic device that is used to match the impedance of two circuits that have different impedance values. It is commonly used in radio frequency (RF) applications to convert between 50 Ohm and 75 Ohm coaxial cables.

2. Why do I need a matching transformer for 50 Ohm to 75 Ohm coax?

Most electronic devices, such as televisions and cable modems, are designed to work with a 75 Ohm coaxial cable. However, some RF equipment, such as antennas and transmitters, operate with a 50 Ohm coaxial cable. A matching transformer is needed to convert the impedance and ensure proper signal transmission between these components.

3. How does a matching transformer work?

A matching transformer consists of two sets of wire coils, known as the primary and secondary windings. The primary winding is connected to the 50 Ohm coaxial cable, while the secondary winding is connected to the 75 Ohm coaxial cable. When a signal is sent through the primary winding, it creates a magnetic field which induces a current in the secondary winding, effectively matching the impedance between the two cables.

4. Are there different types of matching transformers for 50 Ohm to 75 Ohm coax?

Yes, there are different types of matching transformers available, such as balun transformers and quarter-wavelength transformers. Balun transformers use a balanced-to-unbalanced design to match the impedance, while quarter-wavelength transformers use the principle of reflection to achieve the impedance match.

5. Can a matching transformer be used for other impedance conversions?

Yes, a matching transformer can be used for other impedance conversions, such as 50 Ohm to 300 Ohm or 75 Ohm to 300 Ohm. However, it is important to choose the correct transformer for the specific impedance conversion needed, as different transformers are designed for different impedance values.