Hydrogen excitation, ionisation and photon absorption

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance in finding the formula for calculating the percentage of ionized hydrogen atoms at a temperature of 10000 Kelvin and the percentage of atoms in the n=2 excited state. They also inquire about the location of the absorption cross section for a hydrogen atom in the n=2 state at a specific wavelength. The answerer suggests checking the NIST database for the desired information.
Raezeman
I need help with something that i seemed to remember was fairly easy, but just can't seem to find the simple formula for:

I have an amount of hydrogen atoms at a temperature of 10000 Kelvin. What percentage of them are ionised and what percentage of them are in the n=2 excited state.

Secondly, where could i find the absorption cross section of a hydrogen atom in the n=2 state for the wavelength 656.28 nm? (aka Halpha line)

Physics news on Phys.org
What percentage of them are ionised
That will depend on the density.

and what percentage of them are in the n=2 excited state.
See "Boltzmann factor".

Secondly, where could i find the absorption cross section of a hydrogen atom in the n=2 state for the wavelength 656.28 nm? (aka Halpha line)
The NIST database could have that, not sure.

1. What is hydrogen excitation?

Hydrogen excitation is the process by which the electrons in a hydrogen atom are raised to a higher energy level. This can occur through collisions with other particles or through the absorption of energy from photons.

2. How does hydrogen ionisation occur?

Hydrogen ionisation is the process by which a hydrogen atom loses its electron and becomes a positively charged ion. This can happen when the atom is exposed to high energy radiation or when it collides with another particle with enough force to remove the electron.

3. What is the role of photon absorption in hydrogen excitation and ionisation?

Photon absorption is the main mechanism by which hydrogen atoms are excited and ionised. When a photon with enough energy is absorbed by a hydrogen atom, the electron can jump to a higher energy level or be completely removed, causing excitation or ionisation.

4. How is the energy of a photon related to hydrogen excitation and ionisation?

The energy of a photon is directly related to the energy levels of a hydrogen atom. A photon with an energy equal to the difference between two energy levels can be absorbed by the atom, causing the electron to jump to a higher energy level or be removed, resulting in excitation or ionisation.

5. What are the applications of studying hydrogen excitation, ionisation, and photon absorption?

Studying hydrogen excitation, ionisation, and photon absorption can provide valuable insights into the behavior of atoms and the interactions between particles. It has applications in fields such as astrophysics, plasma physics, and quantum mechanics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of light and in the development of technologies such as lasers and solar cells.