Hydrogen - Halpha cross section

In summary, the speaker is looking for the absorption cross section for an H-alpha photon by a hydrogen atom in the n=2 state. They need a reliable source for this information and have been searching for it since July. They have written code that technically works but need the exact number. They are now asking for assistance in finding this value. Specifically, they need the absorption cross section per hydrogen atom.
Raezeman
Greetings,

i need the absorption cross section for the absorption of an H-alpha photon by a hydrogen atom, in the correct state of course, which I'm pretty sure is neutral hydrogen, n=2. I am needing this for a project, so i also need a reliable source where this comes from.

Thanks beforehand and friendly regards,
Raezeman

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't you been looking for this since July, have you not seen anything in the 5 months since?

Vagn said:
Haven't you been looking for this since July, have you not seen anything in the 5 months since?
Sort of. I wrote some code about this which technically works, i just need the exact number, but then a lot of other stuff came up that i had to do first, so i left searching for this value for later, which is now. And as i actually made lots of mistakes in my first thread, i thought better make a new one.
But please, someone who can help me?

Also, to be more precise, its the absorption cross section per hydrogen atom that i need.

1. What is the Halpha cross section of Hydrogen?

The Halpha cross section of Hydrogen is the measure of the probability of an incoming photon with a specific energy to interact with a Hydrogen atom, resulting in the emission or absorption of the Halpha spectral line.

2. How is the Halpha cross section of Hydrogen calculated?

The Halpha cross section of Hydrogen is calculated using the formula: σ = A/λ, where σ is the cross section, A is the Einstein coefficient for spontaneous emission, and λ is the wavelength of the Halpha line.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the Halpha cross section of Hydrogen?

The unit of measurement for the Halpha cross section of Hydrogen is typically given in square centimeters (cm^2).

4. How does the Halpha cross section of Hydrogen vary with temperature?

The Halpha cross section of Hydrogen decreases with increasing temperature due to the increase in the number of excited Hydrogen atoms. This results in a decrease in the number of available atoms for photon interactions.

5. Why is the Halpha cross section of Hydrogen important in astrophysics?

The Halpha cross section of Hydrogen is important in astrophysics because the Halpha spectral line is commonly used to study the properties of interstellar gas clouds. Understanding the cross section helps in interpreting the observed line intensities and provides insights into the physical conditions of these gas clouds.