Locating Image on Retina with Focal Length 0.020m

In summary, the question asks to complete a ray diagram to locate the position of an image on the retina with an effective focal length of 0.020m, given a total power of 56.0D. The attempt at a solution involved drawing the focal points 0.02m from the center axis and using a grid scale of 1 small square = 0.002m. The drawing should show the principle ray and characteristic rays meeting and pointing out the position of the object.
Air

Homework Statement

This is a follow on question. The first few questions ask about finding the numerical answer. The question that I am confused about and cannot do seem to do properly says:
Complete the ray diagram to locate the position of the image shown on the retina when effective focal length of eye is [itex]0.020m[/itex].

Homework Equations

I was given the total power of the lens+cornea as [itex]56.0D[/itex]. I calculated the focal length by [itex]f = \frac{1}{P} = \frac{1}{56} = 0.02m[/itex] to 2dp.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted it and drew the focal points [itex]0.02m[/itex] from the center axis which is the lens+cornea axis. They had already provided an arrow for the Image on the retina but when I drew the diagram, it didn't meet on the grid but met outside the grid that they had provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
could you indicate roughly what is the ordering of these and their separation?
retina, lens, focal point, image, object
:smile:

Basically, the grid scale was 1 small square= 0.002m. The grid had 5x5 small boxes which made up one cm square.

There is only a grid with an axis and we have to draw all the points ourself so I thought that I would need to draw the focal point 2 cm away from the y-axis.

There isn't any detail about the separation. I assume you just have to draw it approximately, showing how a real image is formed?

1. How does the focal length affect the location of an image on the retina?

The focal length of an optical system, such as a lens, determines the distance at which the image will be in focus. In this case, with a focal length of 0.020m, the image will be located at a distance of 0.020m from the lens.

2. What is the relationship between the focal length and the size of the image on the retina?

The focal length also affects the size of the image on the retina. A shorter focal length will result in a larger image, while a longer focal length will result in a smaller image on the retina.

3. Can the location of the image on the retina be changed by adjusting the focal length?

Yes, the location of the image on the retina can be changed by adjusting the focal length. As the focal length is increased or decreased, the image will move further away or closer to the lens, respectively.

4. How does the location of the object being viewed affect the location of the image on the retina?

The location of the object being viewed does not directly affect the location of the image on the retina. However, the distance between the object and the lens will impact the focal length needed to produce a clear image on the retina.

5. What is the significance of locating an image on the retina with a specific focal length?

Locating an image on the retina with a specific focal length is important for producing clear and focused images. By using the appropriate focal length, the image will be properly magnified and located on the retina, resulting in a sharper and more accurate representation of the object being viewed.