Quantum Mechanics: Fundamental Question

In summary, the derivation of the equation E = \hbar \omega \iff p = \hbar k involves using the relativistic expression for energy and setting the mass to 0. This can be derived from electromagnetic theory or the relation E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4. By setting m = 0 and using the relation f\lambda = c, we can derive the equation p = \hbar k. The difference between phase velocity and group velocity is important to note in this derivation.
Domnu
Hi, I'm extremely new to quantum mechanics (my only knowledge of quantum mechanics is that taught in physics C, ergo none, and a bit of wave mechanics... however I have a pretty strong mathematics background... diff-eqs + linear alg. + vector calc.), and was wondering as to how the derivation of

[tex]

\[
E = \hbar \omega \iff p = \hbar k
\]

[/tex]

worked. Here's my derivation, which seems encouraging, but could someone tell me where my derivation messed up?

[tex]

\[
E = \hbar \omega \iff \frac{1}{2} pv = \hbar \cdot 2 \pi f \iff
\frac{1}{2} p= \hbar \cdot \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \iff p = 2 \hbar k \neq \hbar k
\]

[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem lies in the difference between phase velocity and group velocity. And neither of these equations are really derived, although they are "consistent". de Broglie did it from analogies between classical mechanics and Fermat's ideas about light.

Domnu said:
[tex]

\[
E = \hbar \omega \iff \frac{1}{2} pv = \hbar \cdot 2 \pi f \iff
\frac{1}{2} p= \hbar \cdot \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \iff p = 2 \hbar k \neq \hbar k
\]

[/tex]

You should use the relativistic expression for energy. For example, to verify the relation for a photon, use

[tex] E = pc [/tex].

This can be derived from electromagnetic theory, or from the relation

[tex] E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4 [/tex]

by setting m = 0. If we put this in [tex] E = \hbar \omega [/tex], we get

[tex] pc = \hbar \omega = \hbar 2\pi f[/tex].

Since [tex] f\lambda = c [/tex], we get

[tex] p = \hbar \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} = \hbar k [/tex].

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level. It provides a framework for understanding the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the quantum level.

What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement describes the phenomenon where particles become linked and share a connection, even when separated by vast distances. Uncertainty refers to the probabilistic nature of particles and their behavior.

How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, while classical mechanics focuses on the macroscopic world. Quantum mechanics also introduces probabilistic outcomes, whereas classical mechanics is based on deterministic laws.

What are the applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications, including the development of new technologies such as quantum computing, cryptography, and sensors. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and biology to understand the behavior and interactions of particles at a molecular level.

What are the current challenges in quantum mechanics?

Some of the current challenges in quantum mechanics include understanding the nature of gravity at a quantum level, reconciling quantum mechanics with general relativity, and developing practical and scalable quantum technologies. Other challenges include interpreting the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and resolving the paradoxes that arise from it.