Derivation of Eigenfunctions/Eigenvalues of the Momentum Operator

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the integration of a function involving the momentum operator. The missing link is found through the definition of the Dirac delta function and the quality that relates it to the variable in the exponent. By multiplying by 2π, the equation is balanced and the solution is reached.
TRB8985
TL;DR Summary
Just trying to understand the derivation of the eigenvalues & eigenfunctions of the momentum operator.
Good afternoon all,

In David Griffiths' "Intro to Quantum Mechanics", I'm looking through Example 3.2 on page 115 that shows how to get the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the momentum operator.

I completely understand everything up until this part:

##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_p'^*(x) f_p(x) dx = |A|^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{(i(p-p')x/\hbar)}dx = |A|^2 2\pi \hbar \delta(p-p')##

Where ##f_p(x) = Ae^{ipx/\hbar}.##

I'm not really understanding how the first parts follow into the last. When I try to do the integration explicitly of the middle part, I end up with the following:

## |A|^2 \frac {\hbar} {i(p-p')} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{(i(p-p')x/\hbar)}dx ##

I can see how ## \hbar ## ends up in the numerator on the end, but the factor of ##2 \pi## seemingly comes out of nowhere, and the delta function just appears without any factor of ##i## attached somehow.

Could anyone explain the missing link between the middle part of the equation and the last? Thank you so very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've figured this out, so I thought I'd post what I found so if anyone else gets stuck they can reference back here. Please feel free to point out if this is incorrect!

Referring back to the definition of the Dirac delta function on page 89:

$$ \delta(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ikx} dk $$

If I pull up the expression that was giving me trouble in the middle, we basically have the same kind of form, but with integration to x instead of k:

$$ |A|^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(p-p')x/\hbar} dx$$

Thus, I'm not going have have a delta in the form of ## \delta(x) ## like when the integration variable was with respect to k, but now, since the variable has switched to x, my delta function essentially "switches feet" in the exponent to ## \delta(\frac{p-p'}{\hbar}) ##.

Additionally, we have the following quality for the delta function:

$$ \delta(cx) = \frac{1}{|c|}\delta(x) $$

Which means,

$$ \delta(\frac{p-p'}{\hbar}) = \frac{1}{|1/\hbar|}\delta(p-p') = \hbar \delta(p-p')$$

Recall the hidden ##1/2\pi## buried in the definition at the top of this post. To keep the equation balanced (not off by a factor of ##1/2\pi##), we'll need to multiply by ## 2\pi##. In doing so, we match the right-hand side of the equation at the top of my original post:

$$ \implies |A|^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(p-p')x/\hbar} dx = |A|^2 2\pi \hbar \delta(p-p')$$

Thank you for reading!

Likes vanhees71 and stevendaryl

1. What is the momentum operator?

The momentum operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol p and is defined as the product of the particle's mass and its velocity.

2. What are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions are special functions that represent the state of a quantum system. They are solutions to the Schrödinger equation and are associated with specific eigenvalues, which represent the possible outcomes of a measurement of the system.

3. How are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues derived for the momentum operator?

The eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the momentum operator can be derived by solving the Schrödinger equation for a free particle in one dimension. This involves applying the momentum operator to the wave function and setting it equal to a constant multiplied by the wave function.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunctions and eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are essential in quantum mechanics as they describe the state of a system and the possible outcomes of measurements. They also form a complete set of functions, meaning any wave function can be expressed as a linear combination of eigenfunctions.

5. Can the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the momentum operator be used to determine the momentum of a particle?

Yes, the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the momentum operator can be used to determine the momentum of a particle. The eigenvalues represent the possible momentum values that can be measured, and the corresponding eigenfunctions describe the probability of obtaining each value.