Is it possible to have distance but apply no force?

In summary: So in summary, the conversation discussed a scenario with a frictionless object with constant velocity and a distance of 10 m traveled horizontally. The question was posed about finding the work exerted on the object horizontally, to which it was determined that there is no force and therefore no work done on the object. The concept of something moving without any forces acting on it was also discussed.
xewe
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=73e979647b&view=att&th=125926df4ffe1738&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_g25eq5it0&zw

This is NOT homework.

In the FBD above, there is no friction, the velocity is constant, and the distance traveled by the box is 10 m horizontally. Find the work exerted on the object horizontally.

if f = 0, and a = 0 because of constant velocity,

ΣFx = ma = Fapp (cos 40) - f
200 kg (0) = Fapp (cos 40) -f
0 = Fapp (cos 40) - f
Fapp (cos 40) = f = 0

thus,

Fapp (cos 40) = 0

does this mean: Work = Fapp (cos 40) (d)
W = 0 (10 m)
W = 0

is this possible, to have no force but achieve distance?

Hi, by the way, I am new here. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't view your image (you'll have to post a link to an image hosting site or upload it as an attachment). But if something's moving with constant velocity, the net force on it is zero and thus the net work on it is zero.

Can something move with no forces acting on it? Of course! Force is not required to maintain velocity, only to change it. See Newton's 1st law.

oh. so does this mean there is no work applied at all? i find that peculiar.

xewe said:
so does this mean there is no work applied at all?
I can't see your FBD so I don't know what forces act. But certainly there's no net work done.
i find that peculiar.
Why is that?

I see the diagram - yes, you've done the math correctly (after a quick look...). Yes, if you have constant speed motion that means there is no net force and therefore no net work done on the object.

1. Is it possible for two objects to have distance between them but not exert any force on each other?

Yes, it is possible for two objects to have a distance between them without exerting any force on each other. This can occur in situations where the objects are not interacting with each other in any way, such as in a vacuum.

2. Can there be a force acting between two objects that are not in direct contact?

Yes, there can be a force acting between two objects that are not in direct contact. This is known as an indirect or non-contact force, such as gravitational or magnetic forces.

3. How can there be distance between two objects if there is no force present?

The distance between two objects is a measure of the physical separation between them. It is possible for this distance to exist without any force present, as the objects may simply be in different locations.

4. Is it possible for an object to move without any force being applied to it?

No, an object cannot move without any force being applied to it. Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Can distance and force be completely independent of each other?

No, distance and force are not completely independent of each other. The amount of force acting on an object can affect its distance from another object, and the distance between two objects can also affect the amount of force between them.