DE: Unit Cancellations Not Making sense

• Thread starter dillonmhudson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, we are considering a tank used in hydrodynamic experiments with a starting concentration of 1 g/liter of dye solution. After the experiment, the tank needs to be rinsed with fresh water at a rate of 2 liters/min, with the solution flowing out at the same rate. We need to find the time it takes for the dye concentration to reach 1% of its original value. The equation used is dQ/dt = rate in - rate out, where Q represents the amount of dye in the tank. It is important to note that all terms in the equation should have units of grams of dye per minute.
dillonmhudson

Homework Statement

Consider a tank used in certain hydrodynamic experiments. After one experiment the tank contains 200 liters of a dye solution with a concentration of 1 g/liter. To prepare for the next experiment, the tank is to be rinsed with fresh water flowing in at a rate of 2 liters/min, the well-stirred solution flowing out at the same rate. Find the time that will elapse before the concentration of dye in the tank reaches 1% of its original value.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex]=rate in - rate out

The Attempt at a Solution

Why the heck do they cancel units incorrectly?
Capture.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say until you tell us what the heck Q is.

Q is the amount of dye in the tank.
dQ is the rate of change of the amount of dye in the tank.

dillonmhudson said:
Q is the amount of dye in the tank.
dQ is the rate of change of the amount of dye in the tank.

Then all the terms in your equation should have units of grams of dye per minute. I think the Q/100 l/min should be g/min. Probably a typo.

Ok that's what I was hoping - thank you.

1. Why are unit cancellations not making sense in my calculations?

Unit cancellations may not make sense in your calculations due to errors in your units. Make sure to check that all units are consistent and that you are converting between units correctly.

2. How do I know if my unit conversions are correct?

To ensure correct unit conversions, it is helpful to use conversion factors and dimensional analysis. This involves multiplying your numerical value by a conversion factor that cancels out the unwanted units and leaves you with the desired units.

3. What is the importance of unit cancellations in scientific calculations?

Unit cancellations are crucial in scientific calculations as they ensure the final result is in the desired units and accurate. They also help to identify any errors in unit conversions or calculations.

4. Can unit cancellations affect the accuracy of my results?

Yes, incorrect unit cancellations can significantly impact the accuracy of your results. It is essential to double-check all units and conversions to ensure the final result is reliable.

5. How can I avoid errors with unit cancellations?

To avoid errors with unit cancellations, it is crucial to carefully check all units and conversions in your calculations. You can also use unit conversion charts or online calculators to double-check your work.