How Does Integration by Parts Apply in Calculating Average Energy?

• Thread starter Moneer81
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration by parts to solve for the average energy given by a specific formula. There is some confusion about the correct approach, with one person questioning a term in the book's solution.
Moneer81
Hi,

while solving for the average energy given by the following formula:

[tex] \overline {E} = \frac {\int_{0}^{\infty} E e^\frac{-E}{kT}dE}{\int_{0}^{\infty} e^\frac{-E}{kT}dE} [/tex]

where E bar is average energy, k is the Boltzmann's constant, and T is temperature

I had to use integration by parts for the numerator.

Integration by parts formula is [tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]

So I made the following choices (and so did my textbook):

[tex] u = E [/tex]

then [tex] du = dE [/tex]

[tex] dv = e^\frac{-E}{kT} [/tex]

and so [tex] v = -kTe^\frac{-E}{kT} [/tex]

Then I proceeded by applying the integration by parts formula, and the integral of the numerator would be:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} E e^\frac{-E}{kT}dE = -EkTe^\frac{-E}{kT} + kT \int_{0}^{\infty} e^\frac{-E}{kT}dE [/tex]

but to my surprise, the book proceeded in the following manner:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} E e^\frac{-E}{kT}dE = kT \left[e^\frac{-E}{kT} \right]
_{0}^{\infty} + kT \int_{0}^{\infty} e^\frac{-E}{kT}dE [/tex]

That first term to the right of the equal sign threw me off...where did it come from?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First

[tex] dv=e^{-\frac{E}{kT}} \ dE [/tex]

then you're right. It has to be some error in the book. Perhaps they meant

[tex] kT \left[e^{-\frac{E}{kT}}\right]_{+\infty}^{0} [/tex]

,that is converting the minus before the whole term into an interchange of integration limits.

Daniel.

1. How do I calculate the slope of a line?

The slope of a line is found by dividing the change in y-coordinates by the change in x-coordinates. This can be represented by the formula: slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

2. What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

Mean, median, and mode are all measures of central tendency in a set of data. The mean is the average, found by adding all the numbers and dividing by the total amount of numbers. The median is the middle value when the numbers are arranged in ascending or descending order. The mode is the most frequently occurring number in the set.

3. How do I convert fractions to decimals?

To convert a fraction to a decimal, divide the numerator (top number) by the denominator (bottom number). For example, 3/4 would be 3 divided by 4, which equals 0.75. You can also use a calculator or a conversion chart to help with converting fractions to decimals.

4. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical formula that relates the three sides of a right triangle. It states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be written as c² = a² + b², where c is the length of the hypotenuse, and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

5. How do I solve for x in an algebraic equation?

To solve for x in an algebraic equation, you can use inverse operations to isolate the variable. This means that you perform the opposite operation (addition/subtraction or multiplication/division) on both sides of the equation until x is by itself on one side. For example, if the equation is 2x + 4 = 12, you would subtract 4 from both sides, then divide both sides by 2, to find that x = 4.