What is the Final Velocity of a Baseball After Being Hit by a Bat?

In summary, the ball's speed after leaving the bat and reaching a height of 28.5 m can be calculated by using the work done by the bat and the conservation of total mechanical energy. The total energy of the ball after being hit by the bat is the sum of its initial kinetic energy and the work done by the bat. By setting this equal to the sum of the ball's kinetic and potential energy at the height of 28.5 m, the speed of the ball can be determined.
mikefitz
A pitcher throws a 0.145-kg baseball, and it approaches the bat at a speed of 53.6 m/s. The bat does Wnc = 77.4 J of work on the ball in hitting it. Ignoring the air resistance, determine the speed of the ball after the ball leaves the bat and is 28.5 m above the point of impact.

The only thing I can think of here is that the x displacement is zero since the ball is hit straight up. this means the Cos(theta) is equal to 1. Other than that I am not sure where to begin. I've done similar problems to this, but I'm not so sure how to incorporate 77.4 J into any of my equations...Any ideas? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mikefitz said:
A pitcher throws a 0.145-kg baseball, and it approaches the bat at a speed of 53.6 m/s. The bat does Wnc = 77.4 J of work on the ball in hitting it. Ignoring the air resistance, determine the speed of the ball after the ball leaves the bat and is 28.5 m above the point of impact.

The only thing I can think of here is that the x displacement is zero since the ball is hit straight up. this means the Cos(theta) is equal to 1. Other than that I am not sure where to begin. I've done similar problems to this, but I'm not so sure how to incorporate 77.4 J into any of my equations...Any ideas? Thanks!

The work of the hit equals the change of kinetic energy of the ball before and after the hit. So, you can calculate the speed of the ball after the hit by using that fact. Further on, since total mechanical energy is conserved, you can use the fact that the sum of potential and kinetic energy of the ball right after the hit equals the sum of potential and kinetic energy which the ball has at the height of 28.5 m to retrieve the speed of the ball at the mentioned height.

My attempt at solving the problem:

KEbefore = .5*.145*53.6^2= 208.2896 J
PEbefore = 0

208.2896= .5*.145*v^2 + 40.5398 + 77.4
=.0725*v^2=90.3498

v^2=1246.2

v=35.30 m/s

This is wrong but I'm unsure why??

Answer this: What's the total energy of the ball immediately after getting hit by the bat?

Doc Al said:
Answer this: What's the total energy of the ball immediately after getting hit by the bat?

Total energy after hitting the ball would be:

208.2896 J + 77.4 J (KEbefore + Energy from the bat)

Then wouldn't you just take KEbefore + PEbefore and set it equal to KEafter + PEafter, then solve for v^2 like I did above? Sorry, I'm basically learning this from what I've read in my book; my teacher is being replaced on Wednesday for receiving such a low grade on student evaluations and a number of complaints by the student body as a whole (suprise suprise).

Thanks for the help!

mikefitz said:
Total energy after hitting the ball would be:

208.2896 J + 77.4 J (KEbefore + Energy from the bat)
Exactly!

Then wouldn't you just take KEbefore + PEbefore and set it equal to KEafter + PEafter, then solve for v^2 like I did above?
You would set that total energy which you just found equal to KEafter + PEafter. (Assuming you set PE = 0 when the ball is at the bat.) Then solve for v^2 like you did before.

v=58.20, thanks Doc Al!

1. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a baseball?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a baseball is: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE stands for kinetic energy, m is the mass of the baseball, and v is the velocity of the baseball.

2. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy is joules (J).

3. How does the mass of a baseball affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a baseball is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the baseball increases, its kinetic energy also increases. So, a heavier baseball will have a greater kinetic energy than a lighter baseball when they are moving at the same velocity.

4. How does the velocity of a baseball affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a baseball is directly proportional to the square of its velocity. This means that as the velocity of the baseball increases, its kinetic energy increases at a faster rate. So, a baseball moving at a higher velocity will have a significantly greater kinetic energy than a baseball moving at a lower velocity, even if their masses are the same.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the kinetic energy of a baseball?

Understanding the kinetic energy of a baseball is important in sports such as baseball and softball, where players need to know how much force is needed to hit the ball a certain distance. It is also relevant in engineering and physics, as it helps in studying the impact of objects in motion and designing structures to withstand impact forces. Additionally, understanding the kinetic energy of a baseball can also be useful in everyday life, such as when driving a car and needing to calculate the stopping distance to avoid a collision.