Calculating First Ionization Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the first ionization energy of Li using given information and the Hess law. The correct answer is 426 kJ/mol Li, but the individual attempts at solving it were incorrect. The conversation also suggests using Hess law instead of the bond enthalpy formula.
burg25

Homework Statement

I have an exam on Monday and do not know how to do this example problem.

Use the following information to calculate the first ionization energy of Li.
LiF(s) → Li+(g) + F −(g) 1050 kJ/mol LiF
Li(s) + ½ F2(g) → LiF(s) −617 kJ/mol Li
F2(g) → 2 F(g) 160 kJ/mol F2
Li(s) → Li(g) 161 kJ/mol Li
F(g) → F −(g) −328 kJ/mol F

(a) 520 kJ/mol Li
(b) 440 kJ/mol Li
(c) 426 kJ/mol Li
(d) 346 kJ/mol Li
(e) 216 kJ/mol Li

The answer is a but I can't figure out how to get it. If you could show me the process I would greatly appreciate it.

Homework Equations

H=Bonds Broken - Bonds Formed

The Attempt at a Solution

617 = 160 + 161 +1050 + x - 328
x = 426
I know this method isn't right because 1. It makes no sense 2. It doesn't follow the bond enthalpy formula

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you combine the reactions given to have a balanced equation with Li(g) as a reactant and Li+(g) as a product, and all the others as spectators?

Don't go for bonds, use Hess law (which is basically what PhaseShifter suggests).

--

1. What is first ionization energy?

First ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove the most loosely held electron from an atom in its ground state.

2. How is first ionization energy calculated?

First ionization energy is calculated by measuring the energy required to remove an electron from an atom and placing it into a positively charged ion state.

3. What factors affect the first ionization energy of an element?

The main factors that affect first ionization energy include the number of protons in the nucleus, the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron, and the shielding effect of inner electrons.

4. Why does first ionization energy generally increase across a period in the periodic table?

This is because the number of protons and the nuclear charge increase, while the number of energy levels and shielding effect remain constant. This leads to a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the outermost electron, making it more difficult to remove.

5. How does first ionization energy relate to an element's reactivity?

The higher the first ionization energy of an element, the less likely it is to lose an electron and therefore, the less reactive it is. Elements with lower first ionization energies are more likely to lose electrons and are therefore more reactive.