Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy

In summary, the speaker is a first-year undergrad student studying Electronics who is interested in creating a working Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy(LIBS) setup during their summer break. They are currently researching and seeking guidance on the topic, including finding intensive books on making a laser at home, understanding the principles of LIBS, and recreating the setup. They welcome any advice or experiences from those familiar with LIBS and are motivated by gaining practical knowledge and experiencing the process firsthand. However, it is noted that LIBS requires expensive equipment and may not be possible to do at home.
abhigupta.14
Hi
I'm a first year undergrad student studying Electronics. I am really interested in creating a working Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy(LIBS) setup in my summer break which is June and July. I'm reading about it these days, although still scratching the surface. I'm confused whether I'll be able to make it at home/some help from college lab maybe or not.

I basically need 3 things,
1. Intensive books that can guide me for making a LASER at home. Something that can tell me a lot about different kinds, operations, tweaking etc. Although I'm guessing a simple ndYAG Pulse laser will do it, but still I want to explore different possibilities because I'd like to custom tailor it according to my needs.
2. Intensive books which explain about LIBS.
3. A guide which I can use to recreate the whole LIBS setup.

Someone who's familiar with LIBS and wants to share any experiences or would like to advice me on this particular project is most welcomed.
Also anyone willing to spare some general advice is also most welcomed.

PS: The reason for making this is basically gaining some practical knowledge. After this, I'll be knowing a lot more about LASER and Spectroscopy which is really great. Most of all, making it for real is just something mind blowing. It is obvious that reading about it won't give me that experience of making it myself and working it out. I'm just willing to absorb that experience.

Engineering news on Phys.org
LIBS requires expensive equipment. you can't do it at home. first try to understand basic principle of LIBS in J.P singh textbook.

What is Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS)?

Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) is an analytical technique that uses a high-powered laser to create a plasma on the surface of a sample. The light emitted from the plasma is then analyzed to determine the elemental composition of the sample.

How does LIBS work?

The laser used in LIBS heats the sample to a very high temperature, causing it to vaporize and form a plasma. The plasma emits light at different wavelengths, which can be separated and analyzed using a spectrometer. The intensity of the light at each wavelength corresponds to the presence and concentration of specific elements in the sample.

What are the advantages of using LIBS?

LIBS is a non-destructive technique, meaning that it does not damage the sample during analysis. It also requires minimal sample preparation and can analyze a wide range of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. Additionally, LIBS is fast, sensitive, and can detect a wide range of elements, including light elements that are difficult to detect with other methods.

What are the limitations of LIBS?

One of the main limitations of LIBS is that it can only analyze the surface of a sample, typically to a depth of a few micrometers. This means that it may not be suitable for analyzing samples with layered or heterogeneous compositions. Additionally, the accuracy of LIBS results can be affected by factors such as sample matrix effects and the presence of contaminants.

What are some common applications of LIBS?

LIBS is used in a variety of industries, including environmental monitoring, forensics, and materials science. It is commonly used for elemental analysis of metals, minerals, and biological samples. LIBS is also used for quality control and process monitoring in manufacturing and industrial settings.