Solid state ultrafast spectroscopy - a good research direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in ultrafast optical spectroscopy of solid state materials and the unique measurements involved. The speaker also mentions the potential for developing new measurement tools and transferrable skills. However, they have no experience in this field and are unsure if it is an employable research direction. A search for jobs in this field yields mostly academic research positions or positions at laser companies. The speaker is also unsure if the skills learned in this project can be applied to other areas of optics or non-ultrafast measurements. They express their nervousness about making a decision on which research group to join before November.
chill_factor
I am interested in ultrafast optical spectroscopy of solid state materials. The unique measurements and especially the process of developing new measurement tools for the optical measurement of quantities that are hard to measure in other ways, and the learning of transferrable skills, make this an attractive research direction for me, but I have no experience in this field.

In addition, I'm not sure if this is an employable research direction. I've googled "spectroscopy semiconductor jobs" and come up with ~10 jobs, half of which are postdocs, rest are the laser companies that manufacture these systems. Its almost as if the only jobs in this field are academic research or selling things to academic researchers. I'm not sure, however, if the transferrable skills learned in such a project can be used to work in other areas of optics, or to transition into non-ultrafast measurements of materials.

I have to make a decision on the group to join before November so I'm kind of nervous.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is solid state ultrafast spectroscopy?

Solid state ultrafast spectroscopy is a technique used to study the properties and dynamics of materials on a very short timescale, typically in the range of femtoseconds to picoseconds. It involves using ultrafast lasers to excite the material and then measuring the resulting changes in its optical properties. This allows researchers to study the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

2. What makes solid state ultrafast spectroscopy a good research direction?

Solid state ultrafast spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. It allows for the study of fundamental processes in materials, as well as the development of new materials with unique properties. Additionally, advances in ultrafast laser technology have made this technique more accessible and cost-effective, making it a promising research direction.

3. What are some potential challenges in conducting solid state ultrafast spectroscopy experiments?

One challenge in solid state ultrafast spectroscopy is the need for specialized equipment, such as ultrafast lasers and detectors, which can be expensive and require specialized training to operate. Another challenge is the short timescale of the measurements, which requires precise timing and synchronization of the laser pulses and detectors. Additionally, the interpretation of the data obtained from these experiments can be complex and require advanced data analysis techniques.

4. What are some current research trends in solid state ultrafast spectroscopy?

Some current research trends in solid state ultrafast spectroscopy include the development of new techniques and methods to improve the time resolution and sensitivity of measurements. There is also a focus on expanding the range of materials that can be studied using this technique, such as 2D materials, nanoparticles, and biological systems. Furthermore, there is a growing interest in using solid state ultrafast spectroscopy to study ultrafast processes in real-time, allowing for a better understanding of the dynamics of materials.

5. How can solid state ultrafast spectroscopy contribute to solving real-world problems?

Solid state ultrafast spectroscopy has a wide range of potential applications, including in fields such as renewable energy, electronics, and medicine. By understanding the fundamental processes and dynamics of materials, researchers can develop new materials with improved properties and applications, such as more efficient solar cells, faster electronic devices, and better drug delivery systems. Additionally, this technique can also aid in the study of environmental and biological processes, providing insights into important global issues and diseases.