Questions on genetic engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an army of never-aging, genetically engineered kittens for world domination. The speaker also considers the idea of evolving a species through genetic coding and questions the potential benefits of altering DNA to improve physical abilities versus trying to return to a "pure" form of DNA. They also mention the validity of religious beliefs in relation to scientific information.
seasnake
If I were to go into genetic engineering, college, intern, work in the field, whatever it would take, at the rate of the current advancement of the field, do you think it would ever be possible for me to genetically engineer an army of never aging kittens engineered for global conquest to take over the world. I mean, I assume that if I could figure out genetic coding a bit more, that perhaps it would be possible to evolve a species by thousands and millions of generations. Man hasn't had the ability for proper speach for most of man's ancestrial history, and I don't think man has ever been as cute as kittens, and so I favor a kitten army. Anyway, I'm also told by a lot of religious folk that in the beginning, man's DNA was pure and so man lived for much longer and never got sick or anything like that, so my next question is, do you think it is more benificial to try and remove DNA defects trying to return DNA to a more "pure" form, or is it a better goal to try and alter DNA to try and develope improved vision, gills, wings, and the like?

Biology news on Phys.org
i doubt that the religious people are giving accurate scientific statements/info etc

I cannot speculate on the possibility of creating an army of never aging kittens engineered for global conquest. Such an idea goes beyond the current capabilities and ethical boundaries of genetic engineering. While advancements in genetic coding have allowed for the manipulation of certain traits in organisms, the idea of creating a specific species designed for world domination is not feasible or ethical.

Furthermore, the concept of "pure" DNA and returning to a more "pure" form is not scientifically accurate. DNA is constantly evolving and changing, and the idea of a "pure" form is subjective and based on personal beliefs. The goal of genetic engineering should be to use our understanding of DNA to improve the lives of individuals and potentially address genetic diseases, not to try and revert to a perceived "pure" form.

In terms of altering DNA to develop improved traits such as vision, gills, and wings, it is important to approach these ideas with caution. While genetic engineering has the potential to improve human health and quality of life, altering traits for purely aesthetic reasons or to mimic other species could have unforeseen consequences. It is essential to carefully consider the ethical implications and potential risks of any genetic engineering endeavors.

1. What is genetic engineering?

Genetic engineering is the process of altering the genetic makeup of an organism by introducing specific DNA sequences into its genome. This can be done through various techniques such as gene editing, gene insertion, or gene deletion.

2. What are the applications of genetic engineering?

Genetic engineering has a wide range of applications, including creating genetically modified organisms (GMOs) for agriculture, developing treatments for genetic diseases, and producing biotechnology products such as insulin and vaccines.

3. What are the potential benefits of genetic engineering?

The potential benefits of genetic engineering include increased crop yields and pest resistance in agriculture, improved treatment and prevention of diseases, and the production of valuable medical and industrial products.

4. What are the ethical concerns surrounding genetic engineering?

There are several ethical concerns surrounding genetic engineering, including the potential for unintended consequences, unequal access to genetic technologies, and the potential for genetic discrimination. There are also concerns about the long-term effects of genetically modified organisms on the environment.

5. What regulations are in place for genetic engineering?

In most countries, there are regulations in place to govern the use of genetic engineering. These regulations vary, but typically involve safety assessments, labeling requirements, and restrictions on the use of certain genetically modified organisms. Additionally, international organizations such as the World Health Organization and the United Nations have guidelines in place for the ethical use of genetic engineering.