Molarity of diluted solutions

• Thread starter oceanflavored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
In summary, A student accidentally spills 227 mL of distilled water into a beaker containing 0.5 M potassium nitrate solution. To find the new molarity, we need to know the prior volume of the potassium nitrate solution in the beaker and the number of moles of potassium nitrate in the solution. With this information, we can use the equation Molarity = moles/liter to calculate the new molarity.
oceanflavored

Homework Statement

A student accidentally spills 227 mL of distilled water into a beaker containing 0.5 M potassium nitrate solution
A) What is the new molarity?

Homework Equations

Molarity = moles/liter

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just REALLY confused, and I would appreciate ANY hints to start me off. I, seriously, have NO IDEA what to do.

thank you so much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of potassium nitrate do you have?
How does the molarity change when the volume changes after the water is added (i.e. what is the new volume)?

You need to know the prior volume of pot nitr. solution in the beaker.

1. What is molarity of a diluted solution?

Molarity of a diluted solution is a measure of the concentration of a solute in a solution. It is defined as the number of moles of solute present in one liter of solution.

2. How is molarity of a diluted solution calculated?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This can be expressed as M = moles of solute / liters of solution.

3. How does dilution affect the molarity of a solution?

Dilution decreases the molarity of a solution. This is because when a solution is diluted, the same amount of solute is spread out over a larger volume, resulting in a lower concentration.

4. Can molarity of a diluted solution be greater than the molarity of the original solution?

No, molarity of a diluted solution cannot be greater than the molarity of the original solution. Dilution always results in a decrease in molarity.

5. How is the molarity of a solution affected by changes in volume?

The molarity of a solution is inversely proportional to the volume of the solution. This means that as the volume of a solution increases, the molarity decreases, and vice versa.