Calculating Molarity for a Diluted Ethanol Solution - Quick Dilution Question

• Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary: You can also check if the answer makes sense. 1.72x10^-4 mols of ethanol in 0.01 mL means the molarity is 1.72x10^-4 mol/0.01 L, which is equal to 0.0172 M.In summary, the lab involved diluting 10 mL of ethanol with 90 mL of water to make a 100 mL solution. The goal was to find the volume of ethanol that was oxidized by dichromate ion. The volume was found by converting the mass of ethanol (7.92x10^-3 g) to mL using its density (0.789 g/mL). The resulting volume was 0.01 mL, which corresponds to
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

The mols of ethanol is 1.72x10^-4. I am trying to find its volume. However, I am confused on what the molarity of this solution is. (Molarity here is in mol/L)

(the 10mL sample contained 1.72x10^-4 mols of ethanol, but it was diluted in 90 mL water)

The lab said:
"Dilute the 10.0 mL ethanol sample as such: (10.0 mL ethanol in 90.0 mL of distilled water, for a total of 100.0 mL)."

The Attempt at a Solution

The mols of ethanol is 1.72x10^-4. Do I divide this figure by .01 liters? Or do I do it by .1? I think it's one or the other but either way I need this calculation perfect or the rest of the lab is moot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to find the molarity, you divide the number of moles by the volume (here: .1 liter).

I don't see which volume you want to find.

10ml ethanol plus 90ml distilled water won't give exactly 100ml, but that's probably a negligible detail.

Oops, sorry! My original post was a bit unclear.

The original dilution scheme was 10 mL of the ethanol in 90mL water [I think my teacher isn't really concerned with the negligible detail(s)]

1.72x10^-4 mols of ethanol is the mols of ethanol oxidized by dichromate ion in my lab. I am trying to find the volume of those mols. The procedure included preparing a solution by adding 10 mL ethanol into 90 mL of water. We shook it up and added into a separate flask 1 mL of that solution and 21 mL of 0.01M dichromate in 5M H2SO4.

Here's the reaction if it is relevant:
2 Cr2O72− + 16 H+ + 3 C2H5OH → 4 Cr3+ + 11 H2O + 3 CH3COOH

Hopefully that clears things up! For such a simple dilution question I can't believe I'm having trouble with it, of all things to be troubled with in this lab.

how silly. I think I just had to convert the grams to mL using ethanol's density - (0.789g/mL).

Resulting figure would be of the 10 mL ethanol originally put in, 0.01 mL was oxidized.

7.92x10^-3 g ethanol X (1 mL/0.789g) = 0.0100mL

(7.92x10^-3 g of ethanol = 1.72x10^-4 mols of ethanol )

Ritzycat said:
Resulting figure would be of the 10 mL ethanol originally put in, 0.01 mL was oxidized.

You took 1 mL out of 100 mL of the diluted solution, so 1/100th of the original sample. If 0.01 mL is 1/100th of 10 mL, then you got it right.

1. What is a quick silly dilution?

A quick silly dilution is a simple experiment or calculation used in science to demonstrate the concept of dilution. It involves mixing a small amount of a concentrated solution with a larger amount of a solvent to create a more diluted solution.

2. Why is it called a silly dilution?

The term "silly" is used to emphasize the simplicity and lightheartedness of this dilution experiment. It is often used as a fun way to introduce students to the concept of dilution in a science class.

3. What materials do I need for a quick silly dilution?

You will need a concentrated solution, a solvent (such as water), measuring cups or beakers, and a mixing container. You may also need a dropper or pipette for more precise measurements.

4. How do I calculate the dilution factor?

The dilution factor is calculated by dividing the volume of the concentrated solution by the total volume of the diluted solution. For example, if you mix 5 mL of a 10x concentrated solution with 45 mL of solvent, the dilution factor would be 10x/50mL = 1/10.

5. What are some real-world applications of dilution?

Dilution is commonly used in various fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and medicine. It is used in laboratory experiments, pharmaceutical preparations, and medical treatments to create more manageable concentrations of substances. It is also used in everyday life, such as diluting household cleaners or laundry detergents to make them less concentrated and safer to use.