Paramaterizing a circle in 3D

• Thread starter rod bryant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Circle
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the closest point on a circle defined by the intersection of a sphere and a plane. Different methods are suggested, including finding the vector to the center of the circle, finding perpendicular unit length vectors on the plane, and minimizing the distance using Lagrange multipliers. The solution involves parameterizing the circle in 3D and using equations to find the center and radius.
rod bryant
I have a circle defined by the intersection of a sphere and a plane.* I want to convert from cartesian to parametric form on my way to finding the closest point on the circle to some arbitrary other point.* How do I go about this?* Alternatively, how do I find the closest point?
The equation of the sphere is x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = R^2.
The equation of the plane is:* xsub0*x + ysub0*y + zsub0*z = R^2 - r^2/2 where (xsub0,ysub0,zsub0) happens to be another point in space.

I want to find the closest point on the circle to (xsub1,ysub1,zsub1).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I would do it a different way.

1) Find the vector to the center of the circle, [itex]\vec{c}[/itex]
2) Find 2 perpendicular unit length vectors that lie on the plane, [itex]\vec{v}_1,\vec{v}_2[/itex]
3) Find the radius of the circle, r (perhaps different from R if the plane doesn't slice through the exact center of the sphere)
4) Circle is given by [itex]\vec{c}+r cos\left(t\right) \vec{v}_1+r sin\left(t\right) \vec{v}_2[/itex]

Last edited:
maze said:
Hmm, I would do it a different way.

1) Find the vector to the center of the circle, [itex]\vec{c}[/itex]
The vector to the center of the circle from where? And how do you find the center of the circle?

2) Find 2 perpendicular unit length vectors that lie on the plane, [itex]\vec{v}_1,\vec{v}_2[/itex]
3) Find the radius of the circle, r (perhaps different from R if the plane doesn't slice through the exact center of the sphere)
4) Circle is given by [itex]\vec{c}+r cos\left(t\right) \vec{v}_1+r sin\left(t\right) \vec{v}_2[/itex]

Pretty much the same thing: From the equation of the plane and knowing the center of the sphere is at (0,0,0), you can find the equation of the line through (0,0,0) perpendicular to the plane. Determine the point at which that line crosses the plane. That will be the center of the circle (and may be what maze meant in (1) above). Choose any point on the circle and let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle a radius of the circle makes with the line through the center of the circle and that point. You can use [itex]\theta[/itex] as parameter and add vectors to get the complete parametric equations.

Now, for the actual problem. To find the closest point on the intersection of a sphere and a circle to [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] I would minimize [itex](x- x_0)^2+ (y- y_0)^3+ (z-z_0)^2[/itex] using Lagrange multipliers with the equations of the sphere and plane as constraints.

Here is a diagram:
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/7691/sphereplaneln3.png

Also,
If you know any 3 points on the circle [itex]\vec{p}_1,\vec{p}_2,\vec{p}_3[/itex] (they should be easy to find), then [itex]\vec{c}[/itex] and r may be found as follows:
[tex]\vec{c} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{matrix}\vec{p}_2-\vec{p}_1 \\ \vec{p}_3-\vec{p}_1 \\ \vec{p}_3-\vec{p}_2\end{matrix}\right)^{-1}\left(\begin{matrix}\vec{p}_1\cdot\vec{p}_1-\vec{p}_2\cdot\vec{p}_2 \\ \vec{p}_1\cdot\vec{p}_1-\vec{p}_3\cdot\vec{p}_3 \\ \vec{p}_2\cdot\vec{p}_2-\vec{p}_3\cdot\vec{p}_3 \end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

[tex]r =\left|\vec{c}-\vec{p}_1\right|[/tex]

For derivation of these equations, see this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173847

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, here is the solution for the closest point:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/483/closestptyv6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
parameterizing a circle in 3D

Thanks maze and hallsofivy. While waiting for a response I went about the problem another way via an approximation. Now I can compare the exact solution.

1. How do you define a circle in 3D?

To define a circle in 3D, you need to specify its center point and radius. The center point is a set of three coordinates (x, y, z) that determine the center of the circle in the 3D coordinate space. The radius is the distance from the center point to any point on the circle's edge.

2. How do you represent a circle in 3D?

A circle in 3D can be represented using various mathematical equations, such as parametric equations or vector equations. Parametric equations use a parameter (usually denoted by t) to describe the position of points on the circle. Vector equations use the dot product of a vector and the center point to determine the distance from the center to any point on the circle.

3. What is the equation for a circle in 3D?

The equation for a circle in 3D depends on the representation used. For parametric equations, the equation is (x, y, z) = (xcos(t), ysin(t), z), where (x, y, z) is the center point and t is the parameter. For vector equations, the equation is (x, y, z) = (xc + r cos(t), yc + r sin(t), zc), where (xc, yc, zc) is the center point and r is the radius.

4. How do you plot a circle in 3D?

To plot a circle in 3D, you can use the equation for the circle and plug in different values for the parameter t. This will give you a set of points that lie on the circle. You can then connect these points to create a visual representation of the circle in 3D space. Another approach is to use 3D graphing software, which allows you to input the center point and radius and will plot the circle for you.

5. What are some applications of parametrizing a circle in 3D?

Parametrizing a circle in 3D is useful in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. In computer graphics, it is used to create smooth curves and surfaces in 3D models. In engineering, it can be used to design and analyze circular structures such as bridges and tunnels. In physics, parametrizing a circle can help in solving problems involving circular motion and orbits of objects in 3D space.