Need tips for a research assistantship resume

In summary, the professor sponsors a research assistantship for graduate students at his school. The assistantship would cover 100% of tuition if the student went for a Masters thesis or 0% of tuition if the student did not pursue a Masters thesis. The 20 hours per week would be at the company itself. The professor wants the student to "spice" up their resume/CV to make it more exciting for the research group. The student is a comp engineering Masters student, but does not have a great undergraduate GPA or graduate GPA. They have 2-3 projects under their belt and work experience in office work/admin work. The professor told the student to "spice it up" and to take their resume/CV to the
fizziks
So one of the research groups at my school is looking for "graduate students like me" - according to the professor who runs the show. They are sponsored by a large tech company and they need to review me also. I'm a comp engineering Masters student btw.

About the assistantship:
It's an non-hourly research assistantship that would cover 100% of my tuition if I go for a Masters thesis or 0% of my tuition if I don't. It's only 20 hours a week at the company itself.

When I met with the professor, he was impressed at my physics degree from undergraduate from a top tier school (since the graduate school I'm going to isn't top tier). He informed me that he wanted me in the group. But he can't make the final decision until the company reviews my credentials and background themselves.

As he looked through my resume, he told me to "spice" it up a bit. Now, I have never written a resume for a research assistantship before. I'm assuming they are different from a normal "work resume." What should I include? Does work experience really matter? Or my coursework/projects more important?

About myself:
I don't have a great undergrad GPA (2.5 GPA overall and 3.04 major). Nor do I have a graduate GPA yet (still in my first summer semester). I don't have many projects under my belt besides "term/final projects" throughout my undergraduate studies, maybe 2-3. Should I list my undergrad/current grad coursework? My work experience is very non-related to what I'm studying (office work/admin work). How should the layout be?

Physics news on Phys.org
What they're likely expecting is a "curriculum vitae" or CV.

This is generally more comprehensive than a resume - not necessarily limited to 2 pages. Just do a search for how to write one.

"spicing it up" could mean a few things. I take it to mean making it more exciting. For example, these term/final projects: for each, make 3 or 4 bullet points describing them and why they were awesome experiences. Bullet points are ranked in order from good to best, and link to qualities that the research group needs.

Add some descriptions about coursework- listing the relevant courses, describe how they form a coherent educational whole, and how they will help you to contribute to the research group.

Ask this professor what he means by "spicing it up". Take your resume/cv to the 'resume center' at school- every school has one- and get their help.

Go ahead and add the work experience, but again- link it to what the research group needs. An RA that can help organize a large project is a good thing to have.

1. What should I include in my research assistantship resume?

In your research assistantship resume, you should include your education background, relevant coursework, research experience, skills, and any publications or presentations. It is also important to highlight any relevant experience or skills that make you a strong candidate for the position.

2. How should I format my research assistantship resume?

Your research assistantship resume should be well-organized and easy to read. Use a clear and professional font, and make sure to include headings and bullet points to break up the information. It is also important to tailor your resume to the specific job you are applying for.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are important to include in my resume?

Some important skills and qualifications to include in your research assistantship resume may include experience with data analysis software, laboratory techniques, and research methodologies. Additionally, any relevant computer skills or language proficiency should be highlighted.

4. How can I demonstrate my research experience on my resume?

You can demonstrate your research experience by including information about the projects you have worked on, your role in the research, and any outcomes or results achieved. It is also helpful to include any publications, presentations, or conferences you have participated in related to your research.

5. Should I include references on my research assistantship resume?

It is not necessary to include references on your resume, but you can mention that references are available upon request. It is important to have a list of references ready in case the employer asks for them, and make sure to ask for permission from the individuals beforehand.