Dot Product and Perpendicularity

In summary, to prove that A is perpendicular to B given the equation |A+B|^2=|A|^2+|B|^2, we can expand the equation to (A.B)(A.B)=A.A+B.B and use the fact that 2(A.B)=0 to show that the dot product between A and B is equal to 0, thus proving that they are perpendicular.
imsoconfused

Homework Statement

If |A+B|^2=|A|^2+|B|^2, prove that A is perpendicular to B.

Homework Equations

A^2=|A||A|

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can think of to do is expand the equation to get (A.B)(A.B)=A.A+B.B. I know that iff a.b=0, the two are perpendicular but I can't figure out how to show that because I don't really even understand what the question is asking. I'm in desperate need of some help!

Physics news on Phys.org
As said before, start with the LHS, not the RHS. Your approach uses the RHS. What is another way of writing |A+B|^2 using the dot product?

Does it involve taking the square root of both sides?

Nope, not at all.

Yes, I just tried it and it was definitely the wrong idea. When you say I need to begin with the LHS, though, do you mean I need to write it out like (A.B)(A.B) to obtain 2AB? If that's not it, could you give me a hint to get me going in the right direction?

Wait, 2AB is the wrong thing, I looked at the something else I'd written down that looked similar. The dot product there would be 2A+2B, right?

Well I gave you a hint in the other thread. This is the third thread with the same question. You ought to stick to one thread and certainly only one forum. [tex]|A|^2 = \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{A}[/tex]

|A+B|^2 is NOT equal to (A.B)^2.

Try letting C = A+B. Then what is |C|^2?

oh, whoops, I messed that last thing up entirely. I'm way too tired, this prof gave way too much homework tonight. I didn't think to use a third variable, that seems like a good idea. defennder, you said to begin with the LHS so I thought that |A|^2=A.A wouldn't yet be relevant.

also, defennder: someone moved my first post to a different forum, so I couldn't find it and reposted it in another one. then I had so many questions in the thread that I thought it'd be less intimidating and I'd get more answers if I asked just the one question. sorry! patience is a virtue god failed to give me. =)

I keep coming back to the fact that 0=2AB. I'm not sure if this has any significance, but if I multiply out |A+B|^2 I get A^2+2AB+B^2, and if I set that equal to the RHS and simplify, I get 2AB=0.

no, that seems like it would prove the two are NOT perpendicular. why is this so hard for me?

actually, it was the right train of thought, am I right that 2(A.B)=0 is significant?

Yes. What does it mean if the dot product between two vectors is zero?

that they are perpendicular! I think I've finally got a viable proof--thank you both so much for your help! now it is off to bed for a couple hours before class starts... good night!

1. What is the definition of a dot product in mathematics?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value as output. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing those products together.

2. What is the geometrical interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product of two vectors is equal to the magnitude of one vector multiplied by the length of the projection of the other vector onto the first vector. This can be visualized as the product of the lengths of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

3. How is the dot product used in vector calculus?

The dot product is used in vector calculus to calculate the angle between two vectors, to project a vector onto another vector, and to find the component of a vector in a specific direction. It is also used in finding the gradient and directional derivatives of a function in multivariable calculus.

4. What are some properties of the dot product?

Some important properties of the dot product include commutativity (a · b = b · a), distributivity (a · (b + c) = a · b + a · c), and associativity (a · (b · c) = (a · b) · c). It is also true that the dot product of a vector with itself is equal to the square of its magnitude (a · a = ||a||²).

5. How is the dot product used in physics and engineering?

The dot product is used in physics and engineering to calculate work, power, and the angle between forces or vectors in three-dimensional space. It is also used in fields such as computer graphics and computer vision to determine the lighting and shading of objects in a scene.