Is it possible to convert light into matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using light to create matter, with the idea of a machine that could instantly build a house. However, it is mentioned that the energy required for such a feat would be difficult to produce, and even if enough energy could be assembled, it would still be a challenge to create recognizable solid matter. The conversation also touches on the concept of atoms and their composition, as well as the conservation of mass in processes such as atomic explosions.
Nenad, reread the last sentence of my previous post:
alpha_wolf said:
The state of equilibrium involves a form of internal energy we call "binding energy" or "bond energy", and this energy contributes to the mass of the system.
A state of equllibrium is just a state - a certain configuration that the system can acheive. It is not an actual physical entity like a particle or similar. So no, the equillibrium itself does not have mass. The mass contribution comes from the energy that is associated with that configuration of the system.

I hope this doesn't confuse you even further. Perhaps someone else can explain this better...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I completely forgot I posted this, so that's why I haven't posted back. First, I would like to ask how does the configuration of the atom, when it's bonded, make it more stable? Isn't it stable already? There are equal electrons as protons, wouldn't that make it stable, so how would a bond make it more stable?
E = MC^2 means that energy equals mass at the speed of light squared, so if you were to slow light down, wouldn't that make matter? I also read about an expirement to where two electro-magnetic waves collided, and made an electron and a positron. I was thinking maybe if more energy were to collide at the same time, that it might create a proton and an anti-proton. With this, you could add an amount of energy equal to a nuetrino and make a nuetron. If you did all this, and somehow got rid of the ant-matter before it collided with the matter, you might be able to make somethisg. The biggest problem would be making a HUGE computer, that could compute all of this.
I would also like to know why the squared is in E = MC^2.

Back to Pair-Production!

Dual Op Amp said:
Well, I completely forgot I posted this, so that's why I haven't posted back.
I was thinking maybe if more energy were to collide at the same time, that it might create a proton and an anti-proton. .

I believe that your premise that two gamma photons collide to form an electron and a positron is better presented, as elsewhere in this string, as the production of such a pair that occurs when a 1.022 MeV gamma photon impinges on matter. That that energy is not only the threshold (where the photo-electric effect becomes the pair-productin phenomenon) but also the quantum mass unit . Experiment has shown that if the gamma photon energy is, say, 10 MeV, 9 pair-production events occur, one after another, leaving 0.2 MeV for the production of photo-electrons or Compton events. Of course that depends on whether or not the photon remains in the matter; and it is independent of whether the matter is real or anti-matter.

Dr. Franz Gross, a Feynman diagram disciple, tried vainly to show on paper that a gamma photon of some appropriate energy could "theoretically" create a +muon -muon pair. The problem was that the photon had already been eaten up making e+e- pairs. Cheers, Jim

ok i am a kid of 16 and i am really wanting to learn as much about this as i can so if anyone can teach me all they know like pass on there knowledge to someone i know no one has a resin to but I am willing to do what it takes and i don't care if people say anything is impossible because i love to prove things wrong or right and I am willing to try and try and try tell i get it right even if i get it wrong i still learn something big from it all so if anyone knows anything or anyone that is willing to help me on line or if you live in Lawton Oklahoma that would id be greatful to you and please don't call me stupid for trying and if you do lol it won't get to me

Last edited by a moderator: