Can UV Light Be Converted into Visible Light?

In summary, a transparent piece of plastic can be converted to visible light by using light in the visible spectrum and a polarizing coating. It is an inefficient process and requires additional energy.
Jaykay1234
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me?

Would it be possible to impregnate a transparent piece of plastic with compound which would shift incident UV light (preferably, from a variety of wavelengths of UV light) into light in the visible spectrum, whilst preserving the light's linearity?

I have read a topic discussing the conversion of IR light to visible light and this seems counter-intuitive as IR light is of a lower energy to begin with. I would have thought that trying to convert IR to visible light you would require additional energy in the system somewhere.

But is it any more plausible if you start with photons which have higher energy than visible light (eg, UV-A, UV-B and UV-C), and convert to photons with lower energy, somewhere in the visible spectrum?

Could you not also just use a polarised coating to help maintain linear transmission of the light?

I'm keen to research this topic in greater detail to see if it's plausible to create glasses which enable the indirect visualisation of UV light, so if anyone could share their wisdom on the matter I'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheers,

Jaykay

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are UV cameras available on the market, and you can also by fluorescent markers that turn UV into visible light. I am not too sure about the linearity of those, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence

Jaykay1234 said:
I have read a topic discussing the conversion of IR light to visible light and this seems counter-intuitive as IR light is of a lower energy to begin with. I would have thought that trying to convert IR to visible light you would require additional energy in the system somewhere.
Those materials typically convert two IR photons to one visible photon.

There are many wavelength shifting materials, but I'm not sure if you can get that in a coherent way to preserve the light direction.

If the UV is in the correct energy range you can use BBO to down-convert ... but this is generally a very inefficient process. It does preserve total energy and momentum.

Modern engineered materials with certain defect structures can enhance the efficiency; this topic was being researched in 2010, the last time I looked into it.

1. What is ultraviolet (UV) light?

Ultraviolet light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light. It is invisible to the human eye but can be detected by some animals and insects.

2. How is UV light used in science?

UV light is used in various scientific fields such as astronomy, biology, chemistry, and physics. It is used for sterilization, fluorescent microscopy, and to study chemical reactions and the properties of materials.

3. How can we see UV light?

Humans cannot see UV light naturally, but we can use special equipment such as UV filters or UV-sensitive cameras to visualize it. Some animals, such as bees and birds, have the ability to see UV light naturally.

4. What are the effects of UV light on living organisms?

UV light can have both positive and negative effects on living organisms. It is essential for the production of vitamin D in humans, but overexposure to UV light can cause sunburn, skin damage, and even skin cancer. Plants also use UV light for photosynthesis, but too much exposure can damage their cells.

5. How does the Earth's atmosphere affect the amount of UV light reaching us?

The Earth's atmosphere acts as a protective layer, filtering out some of the harmful UV rays from the sun. However, the depletion of the ozone layer, which absorbs UV radiation, has led to an increase in the amount of UV light reaching the Earth's surface. This can have negative effects on both humans and the environment.