Blade angles, Reaction, Diffusion

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the hub and tip degrees of reaction of a free-vortex compressor stage and the diffusion factor for the rotor tip. The given equations and results are discussed, with a focus on the rotor tip diffusion. The equation for the diffusion of the rotor is mentioned, but there is confusion about the missing variables. The speaker is seeking clarification and assistance with solving the equation.
roldy
I'm really confused about an in class example my professor did to show how to obtain the hub and tip degrees of reaction of a free-vortex compressor stage and the diffusion factor for the rotor tip

Given:
[tex]\frac{\Delta P_t}{\rho {W_0}^2}=0.9[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r_t}{r_h}=2.646[/tex]

[tex]^{\circ}R_m=0.5[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_m=1.0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\omega r_h}{W_0}=0.5[/tex]

His results:

[tex]D_{rotor,hub}=-.179[/tex]

[tex]D_{rotor,tip}=0.56[/tex]

[tex]D_{stator,hub}=.74[/tex]

[tex]D_{stator,tip}=0.55[/tex]

[tex]^{\circ}R_{tip}=0.714[/tex]

[tex]^{\circ}R_{hub}=-1.0[/tex]

The only values that I found where the [tex]^{\circ}R_{tip}[/tex] and [tex]^{\circ}R_{hub}[/tex].

For now, I'm just concentrating on figuring out the rotor tip diffusion. The equation that I have for the Diffusion of the rotor is as follows.

[tex]
D_{rotor}=1-\frac{cos(\beta_1)}{cos(\beta_2)}+\frac{1}{2\sigma}(tan(\beta_1)-tan(\beta_2))cos(\beta_1)
[/tex]

I would assume that the beta angles are the beta tip angles. This is where I got stumped. I don't have [tex]\omega[/tex] or [tex]W_0[\tex] to help me solve for the missing things.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if this is the wrong equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What are blade angles and how do they affect performance?

Blade angles refer to the angle at which the blades of a rotating object are positioned. In terms of performance, blade angles can affect the efficiency and speed of the rotation, as well as the direction of the resulting force. For example, a larger blade angle may create more lift for a helicopter, while a smaller blade angle may create more thrust for a boat.

2. How does reaction play a role in blade angles?

Reaction is a force that is equal and opposite to the action created by a rotating object. In terms of blade angles, reaction is important because it helps to counteract the rotational force and maintain balance. This is especially crucial for objects with multiple blades, such as wind turbines, where an imbalance in reaction can cause the entire structure to become unstable.

3. What is diffusion and how does it relate to blade angles?

Diffusion refers to the process of spreading or dispersing something, such as gases or liquids. In the context of blade angles, diffusion is important because it can affect the flow of air or fluid around the blades. This can impact the overall performance of the rotating object, as well as its stability and efficiency.

4. How do blade angles affect the diffusion of air or fluid?

The angle of the blades can greatly impact the diffusion of air or fluid around the rotating object. A sharper blade angle, for example, may create more resistance and turbulence in the air or fluid, while a flatter blade angle may allow for smoother and more controlled diffusion. This can have a direct impact on the overall performance and efficiency of the object.

5. Can blade angles be optimized for different purposes?

Yes, blade angles can be optimized for different purposes depending on the specific needs of the rotating object. For example, a helicopter may have different blade angles for takeoff and landing versus forward flight. In wind turbines, blade angles may be adjusted based on wind speed and direction to maximize energy production. Optimization of blade angles is an important aspect of design and engineering in many fields.