Mechanics question (calculating reactions)

In summary: There are three unknowns in this problem: the weight of the beam, the point load, and the distance between the supports. The equation for the algebraic sum of the moments about any point must be zero. This means that the sum of the moments about the point where the beam is attached to the supports must be zero. You can solve this equation to find the point where the sum of the moments is zero.
Studious_stud

Homework Statement

206k6rm.jpg

Homework Equations

Sum of forces = 0
Sum of moments = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey everyone, this problem has me stumped. I'm only just starting to study solid mechanics now and I need some help with this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step should always be to draw a free-body diagram, containing only the object (i.e., the beam), forces, and moments. One should abstract the constraints into all the possible forces and moments that they could represent. For example, a clamped constraint could apply horizontal and vertical forces and a moment, because this constraint prevents translation in both axes along with rotation. A pin on a roller, however, allows rotation and horizontal translation.

With a suitable free-body diagram, one can write and solve the equations of static equilibrium.

This problem is statically indeterminate, and therefore needs one equation in addition to those of equilibrium. You need to think about using compatibility of displacements.

Thanks so far everyone. So basically support B only provides an upward force then right? While A provides a force and a reactionary moment.

So I'll have one equation where the sum of all forces = 0

One equation taking the moment about A

And the last one will be taking the moment about B?

One thing that's kind of throwing me off is constructing the equations for the reactionary moments. The fact that it's a uniformly distributed load in addition to point loads. Could you guys help me understand these 2 moment equations and how they're constructed in this question?

Thanks again, I'm just trying to get to grips with this problem for study.

How many unknowns do you have? And how many equations. You should have a go at the equations and submit them for further help. Try to interpret "the algebraic sum of the moments about any point must be zero", By developing the equilibrium equations, you will understand emotionally as well as technically what a statically indeterminate stucture is. You need to experience the embarassment of being unable to solve it. Incidentally, this is not a problem for beginners of mechanics. Are you sure the problem is given correctly?

1. What is the first step in calculating reactions in mechanics?

The first step in calculating reactions in mechanics is to draw a free body diagram of the object or system. This diagram will show all the external forces acting on the object, which will be used to calculate the reactions.

2. How do I determine the type of reaction (static or dynamic) in mechanics?

To determine the type of reaction, you need to consider the motion of the object or system. If the object is at rest or moving with a constant velocity, then it is experiencing static reactions. If the object is accelerating, then it is experiencing dynamic reactions.

3. What are the different types of reactions in mechanics?

The different types of reactions in mechanics are normal reactions, frictional reactions, and tension reactions. Normal reactions are perpendicular to the surface of contact, frictional reactions are parallel to the surface of contact, and tension reactions are exerted by a rope or cable.

4. How do I calculate the magnitude of reactions in mechanics?

The magnitude of reactions can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up equations of motion and solving for the unknown reactions, the magnitude can be determined.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating reactions in mechanics?

Some common mistakes when calculating reactions in mechanics include not considering all external forces, not drawing an accurate free body diagram, and using incorrect units. It is important to carefully consider all forces and use proper techniques to avoid making mistakes in calculations.