Solve Cantilever Question: Mechanical Engineering Student

• Thread starter LostStudent5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary, a first-year Mechanical Engineering student on a forum was struggling with finding the y-reaction force and moment reaction at point A in a statics problem. They attempted to solve the problem using equilibrium equations and received feedback about the moment load at point B being unable to transfer to the cantilever beam. However, the student still got the wrong answer and posted their working and the actual answer for help. Another user responded with their own working and pointed out that the given answer of 35 kNm was incorrect and provided their own solution with a maximum bending moment of 60 kNm at point A. They also pointed out discrepancies in the given answer and suggested the student check their calculations.
LostStudent5
Hey guys, first-year Mechanical Engineering student here and a new forumer of this site too. I got a static question that I need help with.

Question:

h15uYCn.jpg

Relevant Equations:

Sum of all forces in the y direction = 0
Sum of all moments = 0

Attempted Working:

I just need help finding the y-reaction force and moment reaction at A. I believe I can solve the rest of the question once I figure this out. What I did was:

Ray + P = 0 by considering equilibrium of beam AB in the y direction
RA = -P

Ray + P + Rb/c = 0 by considering equilibrum of the entire beam AC (where Rb/c is the reaction force of the roller at 3L/2 from the LHS of the beam)

Rb/c = -Ray - P = -P - P = -2P

Sum of moments at A (anticlockwise is positive):

Rb/c(3L/2) + PL - M1 - M2 - Mr = 0 where Mr is the moment reaction at A (assumed to be clockwise)
Mr = Rb/c(3L/2) + PL - M1 - M2 = -2P(3L/2) + PL - M1 - M2 = -2PL - M1 - M2

This yielded me the wrong final answer. I apologise for not providing you guys with some free-body diagrams. I hope you can see what I've tried to do here.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LostStudent5, thanks for posting your work in a logical manner, its a big help for us. Have you considered the fact that since point B is a hinge, it cannot transfer a moment load to the cantilever beam element?

Mech_Engineer said:
Hi LostStudent5, thanks for posting your work in a logical manner, its a big help for us. Have you considered the fact that since point B is a hinge, it cannot transfer a moment load to the cantilever beam element?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that. Does that mean the moment load M2 cannot affect the bending moments of the cantilever beam, so we can just ignore the second beam entirely when considering bending moments of the cantilever beam? Or does that mean the bending moments around point B are zero?

Thanks for responding.

Sorry for the late response, this thread dropped off my radar. Regarding your question, the hinge cannot transfer moment so if you visualized a bending moment diagram the bending moment at the hinge would be zero, but the shear force will still transmit through the hinge. Does this make sense?

Mech_Engineer said:
Sorry for the late response, this thread dropped off my radar. Regarding your question, the hinge cannot transfer moment so if you visualized a bending moment diagram the bending moment at the hinge would be zero, but the shear force will still transmit through the hinge. Does this make sense?
No problems.

Yes, it makes sense now. However, I still got the wrong answer. This is my working out:

yWNA3OZ.jpg

0kqRRFe.jpg

I don't know where I went wrong. All y-reactions are intially assumed upwards and the moment reaction at A is assumed clockwise. The actual answer is 35 kN/m.

Thanks for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

It seems to me your "given answer" of 35 kNm is in fact incorrect.

My work (attached in PDF) shows the maximum bending moment to be 60 kNm (at point A). Your analysis method seems correct (analyze the hinged portion of the beam first, the cantilever portion next). Analyzing in this direction finds a reaction force of 7.5 kN at point B (and a normal force of 2.5 kN at the roller). When you carry this reaction force into the cantilever beam section, the resulting bending moment at point A is 60 kNm CCW, and the reaction force at point A is 2.5 kN.

Secondly if we "work forward" from the given answer of 35 kNm (pg. 3 of PDF), Rb ends up being 1.25 kN, resulting in a non-compression force at the roller and conflicting solution results between the force balance and moment balance due to unbalanced forces. Where did your given answer come from?

Attachments

• Hinged Beam Analysis 11-24-2015.pdf
    196 KB · Views: 267
Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is a cantilever?

A cantilever is a structural element that is supported at only one end, while the other end is free to move. In mechanical engineering, cantilever beams are commonly used for supporting loads and analyzing structural stability.

2. How do you solve a cantilever question?

To solve a cantilever question, the first step is to draw a free body diagram that shows all the forces acting on the beam. Then, apply the equilibrium equations to find the reactions at the support and the internal forces within the beam. Finally, use appropriate formulas and equations to calculate the deflection, stress, and other important parameters.

3. What are the key assumptions made when solving a cantilever question?

The key assumptions made when solving a cantilever question include: the beam is made of a homogeneous and isotropic material, the beam is in static equilibrium, and the beam is subjected to small deflections and linear elastic behavior. These assumptions may vary depending on the specific problem and the level of complexity.

4. What are some common challenges in solving cantilever questions?

Some common challenges in solving cantilever questions include: dealing with non-uniformly distributed loads, determining appropriate boundary conditions, considering the effects of shear and bending moments, and selecting the correct equations and formulas for the given problem. It is important to have a strong understanding of mechanics and structural analysis principles to effectively solve cantilever questions.

5. What are some practical applications of cantilever beams in mechanical engineering?

Cantilever beams are commonly used in mechanical engineering for a variety of applications, including: bridges, cranes, support structures for buildings and machines, and various types of sensors and measuring devices. They are also used in the design and analysis of aircraft and other structures that require lightweight and strong components.