Friction problem of two blocks

In summary, if you apply a horizontal force of 9.2214 N to the bottom block, the top block will begin to slip.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Figure 6-36: http://www.webassign.net/walker/06-36alt.gif

5. [Walker2 6.P.071.] Two blocks, stacked one on top of the other, slide on a frictionless, horizontal surface (Figure 6-36), where M = 5.0 kg. The surface between the two blocks is rough, however, with a coefficient of static friction equal to 0.47.

If a horizontal force F is applied to the bottom block, what is the maximum value F can have before the 2.0 kg top block begins to slip?

The answer in the back of the book is 32 N. But that's not what I get. I get the same wrong answer 2 different ways:

friction = mu * mg
friction = 0.47 * 2 * 9.81
friction = 9.2214 N

at this point, I'm stuck.

I'd like to say that if pushing the 2 kg block with a force of 9.2214 will move it, then how much harder would I have to push a 5 kg block to make its push equivalent to the 2 kg push.

9.2214 * (5/2) = 23.0535 which is the wrong answer.

Or I could do it like this:

f=ma
9.2214 = 2 * a

a = 4.6107

now use this for a for the 5 kg block

F = ma
F = 5 * 4.6107
F = 23.0535 which is exactly what I got before and it is wrong

Any thoughts...??

Physics news on Phys.org
You are very close. What is the maximum acceleration that the top block can have? (You already figured that out--that's when the frictional force on it is at maximum.) Now treat the two blocks as a single object (why not?). What force F is required to accelerate both blocks to that value?

(One of your mistakes was using F = ma, but not using the net force on the object. If you treat the bottom block by itself -- nothing wrong with that! -- don't forget that there are two horizontal forces on it. Recall Newton's 3rd law.)

Doc Al said:
You are very close. What is the maximum acceleration that the top block can have? (You already figured that out--that's when the frictional force on it is at maximum.) Now treat the two blocks as a single object (why not?). What force F is required to accelerate both blocks to that value?

(One of your mistakes was using F = ma, but not using the net force on the object. If you treat the bottom block by itself -- nothing wrong with that! -- don't forget that there are two horizontal forces on it. Recall Newton's 3rd law.)
Thanks, Doc (again!)
lol... I feel so stupid for not realizing that I'm pushing 7kg, and not 5 ! I stared at this for an hour.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the roughness and irregularities of the surfaces and can act in both directions.

2. How does friction affect the movement of two blocks?

Friction can either help or hinder the movement of two blocks. If the blocks are already in motion, friction can slow them down. However, if the blocks are at rest, friction can prevent them from moving until enough force is applied to overcome it.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two blocks?

The amount of friction between two blocks is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. How can friction be reduced between two blocks?

Friction can be reduced between two blocks by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, smoother surfaces or using wheels or rollers can also reduce friction.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated between two blocks?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated between two blocks. It is a natural force that will always exist between surfaces in contact. However, it can be reduced to a very small amount by using special materials and techniques.