3D Mohr's circle conceptual question

In summary, when plotting Mohr's circles, it is important to consider the change in orientation of both the element and the coordinate system in order to accurately represent the stresses.
musicmar
This is more of a general conceptual question than a specific homework problem. I know how to do these problems, but I'm not understanding part of them.
So, with a given stress element, I first look at one specific face, and plot a two-dimensional Mohr's circle. Then, I find the center, radius, and principle stresses. I could also find θp, but I'm not sure I need to in this case. If I do, that's what I'm not understanding. I know rotating the circle by 2θp and thus the element by θp yields a no shear state in the first orientation considered.
My question:
To plot the other two circles, I have drawn the stresses on the remaining two planes of the element. In order for the circles to work, x' and y' (each from one of the planes) must equal the principle stresses. I am confused as to why they don't equal the stresses in their planes. I know it has something to do with the angle of rotation, but I'm not exactly sure what.

An explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason x' and y' don't equal the stresses in their planes is because the Mohr's circle is a representation of the element at two different orientations. When you rotate the element by θp, it changes the orientation of the stress element as well as the orientation of the coordinate system. This means that the same stresses will appear differently in the two orientations. The x' and y' coordinates represent the stresses in the new orientation, which is why they are different from the stresses in the original orientation.

1. What is Mohr's circle and how is it used in 3D analysis?

Mohr's circle is a graphical method used to analyze stress and strain in 3D structures. It allows for quick and accurate determination of principal stresses and their orientations.

2. How is Mohr's circle constructed for 3D analysis?

To construct Mohr's circle for 3D analysis, a series of stress or strain values at different orientations are plotted on a graph. The center of the circle represents the average stress or strain, and the radius of the circle represents the difference between the maximum and minimum stresses or strains.

3. What are the advantages of using Mohr's circle for 3D analysis?

Mohr's circle allows for a visual representation of complex 3D stress and strain states, making it easier to understand and analyze. It also simplifies calculations and can be used to determine the maximum stress or strain and its orientation.

4. Can Mohr's circle be used for both stresses and strains in 3D analysis?

Yes, Mohr's circle can be used for both stresses and strains in 3D analysis. The construction and interpretation of the circle remain the same for both stress and strain analysis.

5. How is Mohr's circle used to determine failure in 3D structures?

Mohr's circle can be used to determine failure in 3D structures by comparing the location of the principal stresses or strains with the material's failure criteria. If any of the principal stresses or strains exceed the failure criteria, it indicates potential failure in that direction.