Problems with cavitation in the pipeline

• Thread starter wkca80
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed two problems regarding vaporization in a pipeline. The first problem involved determining if vaporization would occur if regional pressure is lower than the fluid vapor pressure. The second problem involved evaluating the same scenario with a different pump type and considering the possibility of dissolved gasses causing cavitation damage. Both problems require careful calculation and consideration of various factors such as suction pressure and anti-cavitation coatings.
wkca80
I have two problems regarding the vaporization in the pipeline

1)
In the textbook, it is common to find examples with a steady flow and pressure.
If regional pressure is lower than the fluid vapor pressure, vaporization will occur, am I correct?
If suction pressure is 20kPa, sum of loss (elevation, friction, and minor losses) is 18kPa, and the fluid vapor pressure is 2.3kPa, vaporiation will happen, isn't it?

2)
How can I evaluate the same problem if the pump type is changed to pistion pump?
Unsteady suction pressure is induced periodically inside the pipeline, can I carry out the calculation by assuming the averaged suction pressure?
If the estimated peak suction pressure is 30kPa, under what suction pressure value will vaporization happens?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Or just apply an anti-cavitation coating. I’ve used one supplied by Belzona. Then you can just let it cavitate with no damage.

Don’t forget that vaporization of your working fluid is only one source of cavitation. You also have dissolved gasses to be concerned about. That is normally responsible for a much smaller portion of the damage, but not always.

1. What is cavitation in a pipeline?

Cavitation in a pipeline is the formation and collapse of vapor bubbles due to rapid changes in pressure. This can occur when the flow rate of a liquid is too high, causing low pressure areas that vaporize the liquid. When the bubbles collapse, they create shock waves that can damage the pipeline.

2. What are the common causes of cavitation in pipelines?

The most common causes of cavitation in pipelines include high flow rates, sudden changes in direction or elevation, and obstructions or restrictions in the pipeline. Other factors such as temperature, fluid properties, and pump design can also contribute to cavitation.

3. How can cavitation in pipelines be detected?

Cavitation in pipelines can be detected through visual inspection, acoustic monitoring, and pressure and flow rate measurements. The presence of bubbles or pitting on the inner surface of the pipeline, unusual noises, and fluctuations in pressure and flow rate can all indicate the occurrence of cavitation.

4. What are the potential consequences of cavitation in pipelines?

Cavitation in pipelines can lead to several consequences, including damage to the pipeline walls, reduced flow rate and efficiency, increased energy consumption, and decreased lifespan of equipment such as pumps and valves. In extreme cases, cavitation can cause complete failure of the pipeline.

5. How can cavitation in pipelines be prevented or mitigated?

To prevent or mitigate cavitation in pipelines, it is important to properly design the pipeline and select appropriate equipment. This includes choosing the right pump, maintaining a steady flow rate, and avoiding sudden changes in direction or elevation. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help identify and address potential issues before they lead to cavitation.