Calculating pump head required

In summary, to calculate the pump head required for a fluid transfer system, the following steps were taken: 1. The head required to overcome the pressurized vessel was calculated to be 10.62m. 2. The sum of height elevation, minor and frictional losses, and the head required for the increased pressure of the pressurized vessel was added to this, resulting in a pump head required (Hp) of 31.345m. Overall, this method appears to be correct.
evoke1l1

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the pump head required for a fluid transfer system.

The pump is located 3m above a storage vessel vented to atmosphere (1 bar) with a total pipe length of 5m to pump suction. The pump discharge is connected to a pressurised vessel at 2 bar absolute with an elevation of 15m and a total pipe length of 27m from pump discharge.

Homework Equations

Fluid Density 960 kg m^3

Head loss from friction on suction side: 0.266m
Minor head losses on suction side: 0.249m

Head loss from friction discharge side: 1.44m
Minor head losses on discharge side: 0.77m

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out the head required to overcome the pressurised vessel as:

p/ρg = 100000 / 960 × 9.81 = 10.62m

p = 100000 because this would be the gauge pressure in Pa.

To calculate the pump head required I have basically added the sum of height elevation (18m) plus the minor and frictional losses along with the head required to account for the 1 bar increased pressure of the pressurised vessel. This leaves me with an answer of 31.345m for pump head required (Hp).

Would this method be correct or do I need to re-evaluate my method?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks OK to me.

Likes evoke1l1
Thank you.

1. What is pump head and why is it important?

Pump head is the measure of the energy required to move liquid through a pumping system. It is important because it determines the power and size of the pump needed for a specific application.

2. How is pump head calculated?

Pump head is calculated by adding the static head (height difference between the surface of the liquid and the discharge point), friction head (energy lost due to friction in pipes and fittings), and velocity head (energy required to overcome the velocity of the liquid) together.

3. What units are used to measure pump head?

Pump head is typically measured in feet or meters of head, which is the equivalent height of a column of water that would produce the same pressure as the pumping system.

4. Can pump head be negative?

Yes, pump head can be negative, which means that the pump is actually generating energy rather than using it. This can occur in applications where the liquid is being pumped to a higher elevation or when a pump is used to control pressure in a closed system.

5. How do I determine the pump head required for my specific application?

To determine the pump head required, you will need to consider factors such as the flow rate, pipe size and length, elevation changes, and friction losses. Using a pump head calculator or consulting with a pump expert can help you determine the appropriate pump head for your specific application.