Missionaries refuse aid to tsunami victims

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary: Villagers furious with Christian Missionaries In summary, the villagers are angry with Christian missionaries for asking them to convert to Christianity before distributing relief supplies. The villagers forcibly stopped the relief trucks from leaving, and the missionaries were able to leave the village.
klusener
Villagers furious with Christian Missionaries

Samanthapettai, Jan 16 (ANI): Rage and fury has gripped this tsunami-hit tiny Hindu village in India's southern Tamil Nadu after a group of Christian missionaries allegedly refused them aid for not agreeing to follow their religion.

Samanthapettai, near the temple town of Madurai, faced near devastation on the December 26 when massive tidal waves wiped it clean of homes and lives.

Most of the 200 people here are homeless or displaced , battling to rebuild lives and locating lost family members besides facing risks of epidemic,disease and trauma.

Jubilant at seeing the relief trucks loaded with food, clothes and the much-needed medicines the villagers, many of who have not had a square meal in days, were shocked when the nuns asked them to convert before distributing biscuits and water.

Heated arguments broke out as the locals forcibly tried to stop the relief trucks from leaving. The missionaries, who rushed into their cars on seeing television reporters and the cameras refusing to comment on the incident and managed to leave the village.

Disappointed and shocked into disbelief the hapless villagers still await aid.

"Many NGOs (volunteer groups) are extending help to us but there in our village the NGO, which was till now helping us is now asking us to follow the Christian religion. We are staunch followers of Hindu religion and refused their request. And after that these people with their aid materials are leaving the village without distributing that to us," Rajni Kumar, a villager said.

The incident is an exception to concerted charity in a catastrophe that has left no one untouched.(ANI)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galle, Jan. 21: Usawathun Hasana Maha Vidyalaya was supposed to start classes on Wednesday. But for now, all the activity is focused on cleaning up the school. Principal Hussain runs around trying to coordinate the work and counsel students.

“We lost 28 students and one teacher. Many students are still shocked. It will take a long time,” he mumbles, before rushing away.

Lending helping hands are university students, scrubbing windows, doors, tables and chairs and taking soaked books out to dry in the sun.

Behind the school is the devastated village of Siyabalagahawatta, Dewata. One Muslim family of 14 lost 12 members. The survivors have left, probably never to return. The village has lost many and the survivors are still having to remove the bodies. A few are still missing.

At the relief camp here in the local Buddhist temple, R. Sunil stands gazing into the distance.

The blank stare tells his story of loss. His wife and three daughters were washed away by the waves; he has no home and belongings any longer. His son survived by clinging to a tree.

Sporting a uniform donated by a trading company, Sunil, a daily labourer at a nearby factory, sometimes plays with young girls at the makeshift day-care centre, which was set up so that parents can go back to cleaning their homes. Clothes are the only things most could salvage and they are still being hung out to dry.

Wellabada, Megalle, is like a ghost town. There is hardly a soul among the rubble. A water bottle hangs on a tree, a toy car sits on the road, stray dogs make their home in piles of debris that were once homes. Outside one house, a few soaked photographs have been laid out to dry. In another, a couple washes the floor, surrounded by two-and-a-half walls.

The harbour town, behind a Sri Lankan navy base, was ravaged by the killer waves. Beutin was cooking at home when she heard the sound of the waves. She thought it was a bomb targeting the navy and ran out. As the waves roared in, she clung to a tree and suffered only a head injury — and stomach problems from the water she swallowed.

Paraliya Jinarathana School has been reduced to a heavily damaged structure with no classrooms. A group of volunteers from across the world has set up base here, with medical, clean-up and counselling assistance. A group of children is kept busy painting chairs and tables or drawing.

Behind the school, a train stands forlorn, empty and bent out of shape in places.

The train was thrown off the tracks resulting in hundreds of deaths. It has been put back on the rails, but there are no passengers.

At another Buddhist temple-turned-relief camp near Hikkaduwa, 12-year-old Chandan approaches most visitors with a hello and a curious smile. Asked if he’s okay, the reply is a reluctant, confused shake of the head.

In IDH Place, Mahamodara, survivors huddle together in tents, looking at strangers with suspicion.

A few days ago, a Christian relief organisation came to them, offering aid. But the Buddhist Sri Lankans were asked to convert to Christianity. They refused the aid and are wary of accepting any more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southern Baptists Pray for Destruction of Hindu Temples

January 20, 2005, 12:12 am

The website of the International Mission Board (IMB), a branch of the infamous Southern Baptist Convention, is calling for American Southern Baptist missionaries to visit a prominent Hindu temple in India and pray for its destruction.

The mission assignment entitled “Jericho Prayerwalk” calls for missionaries to visit “one of the holiest temples“ once a day (at differing times) to walk around the complex praying for the people group. Pray specifically that the walls to the Gospel message will collapse like the walls of Jericho in Joshua.” In other words, missionaries should pray that all the local Hindus convert to Christianity and that their temple will be destroyed.

In the past, the Southern Baptist Convention distributed 30,000 copies of a handbook just before the most important Hindu festival of 1999, Diwali, stating that 'Hindus seek power and blessing through the worship of gods and goddesses and the demonic powers that lay behind them."

Physics news on Phys.org
any Southern Baptists here? you better not give me your address.. what do you think is going to happen to those poor villagers without food and water? They are going to die and I don't think Jesus likes it when you leave people to die like that..

Last edited:
Wow, there are some people who just deserve to be slapped (understatement). The Bartuards...

hopefully you are talking about those missionaries and not me.. lol

I don't believe a single one of those stories. Sounds like propaganda to me.
There is not a missionary in the world who will refuse help to someone who won't convert. It's a bunch of bull.

tribdog said:
I don't believe a single one of those stories. Sounds like propaganda to me.
There is not a missionary in the world who will refuse help to someone who won't convert. It's a bunch of bull.

Your naiveness is unbelievable.. the first article is from the ANI the Asian News International, the number one news agency in Asia.

The second article is from The Telegraph, a prominent newspaper all over the world..

The third article is right from the site of those stupid idiots

Edit: i am giving the link - http://going.imb.org/vim/Step_1/Details.asp?JobID=74546

For more on this - http://newstodaynet.com/22JAN/LD1.HTM

If "people" like tribdog want to question its honesty too, trust me, it is a very trustable news service

second Edit: I am taking the word "idiot" out of my post.. I am actually saying this just in case tribdog starts saying that I edited my post to change the info or something...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe a single one of those stories. Sounds like propaganda to me. There is not a missionary in the world who will refuse help to someone who won't convert. It's a bunch of bull.

Tribdog - I would believe it. It's sad, but true. I have encountered such people (generally fundamentalists). I have seen aid offered only if the recipients would consent to prosyletizing or acceptance of 'Christianity'. Well that is not Christianity.

Not all Christians behave this way, but I have met few evangelicals who were not 'prosyletizing' or 'evangelizing' for selfish reasons.

The same pattern is happening in Iraq.

I do charitable work, and donate money and clothing to various programs. I give without any 'strings attached'.

Last edited:
Samanthapettai, the village mentioned in the first article, is right near my college.. There are a lot of moderate Muslims there and after this incident, I know for a fact that they are not going to be moderate anymore.. cause they are seeing in action what OBL is saying.. see that is why these incidents are bad for christians all over the world, because they are justifying everything that OBL is saying..

Edit: i misspelled a word.

Last edited:
klusener said:
Your naiveness is unbelievable.. the first article is from the ANI the Asian News International, the number one news agency in Asia.

The second article is from The Telegraph, a prominent newspaper all over the world..

The third article is right from the site of those stupid idiots

Edit: i am giving the link - http://going.imb.org/vim/Step_1/Details.asp?JobID=74546

For more on this - http://newstodaynet.com/22JAN/LD1.HTM

If idiots like tribdog want to question its honesty too, trust me, it is a very trustable news service
I don't care for the tone of this entire post. If you want to sway people to your way of thinking, stop referring to those who disagree with your post as idiots and present substantial proof of your point of view. Just because you disagree with obviously slanted journalistic "reporting" does not make you an idiot.

Sad to say, this kind of behaviour has a long and well-documented history. During the Irish famine of the mid 1800s "Protestant missions were set up to take advantage of the Catholics’ desperation. They offered food and clothing if the Catholics would renounce their faith and convert". Note that this was White Christian exploiting White Christian.
http://www.irishhungermartyrs.org/the_evidence.htm

I can see this thread devolving into bitter disagreement, and therefore should be closed sooner than later.

On the other hand, for those from Christian background, put yourself in the place of the receiving end for a moment.

Also, read the book "Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews -- A History" by James Carroll, a Catholic historian.

Last edited:
Again, prove to me how this is slanted. ANI is a very reputable news organization and the same applies to The Telegraph, I am sure the British here will agree. The third might be questionable to people like you, but their editor is a very good man, their headquarters is also very close to my house in India. Maybe the word "firangi" in that article unsettled you, if you know what it means. Maybe Gokul does, I don't know.. But he has every right to use that word in describing the people who are doing this, because they are nothing but selfish people. I am not trying to sway people and I don't give a damn if you believe this or not, all I am trying to do is present information to everyone on the forum, I am sure that no one here would have known about this.. It is up to you to decide if you want to believe this and works towards a moral good, or ignore the bad in hopes that it will disappear and make pathetic attempts to "shoot the messenger."

But on hindsight, I think it would be advisable to change the topic to something more "nice." I made this topic at the spur of the moment and I was troubled because I don't like it when my innocent brothers and sisters are being starved like this because of selfish actions by a group of people..

Astronuc said:
I can see this thread devolving into bitter disagreement, and therefore should be closed sooner than later.

On the other hand, for those from Christian background, put yourself in the place of the receiving end for a moment.

Also, read the book "Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews -- A History" by James Carroll, a Catholic historian.
I agree that strings should not be attached to aid. I just don't like the tone applied to this post.

I give through my church to an organization called UMCOR (United Methodist Committee On Relief) because all of the money given goes to the field (All the overhead is absorbed by the church). I do not believe they attach strings to the aid, but I don't know this for a fact.

klusener said:
Again, prove to me how this is slanted. ANI is a very reputable news organization and the same applies to The Telegraph

The only reputation the Telegraph has as far as I know is being moderately conservative, politically speaking. I certainly haven't heard of any scandals about untrue stories.

Klusener, it would be good if you could post links to any material you quote.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050122/asp/nation/story_4284878.asp

I don't blame you being angry - who wouldn't be in your situation.

What tone would you have used if hundreds of your fellow brothers, sisters, and countrymen are being deprived of food and water right after a tragic event that has already claimed their lives..

Just take a moment to think about this from the villagers' point of view..

Their sources of living, houses, families, everything has been destroyed, and then right after this, someone comes and tells them that they will not get food, water, or shelter unless they convert to Christianity..

klusener said:
But on hindsight, I think it would be advisable to change the topic to something more "nice." I made this topic at the spur of the moment and I was troubled because I don't like it when my innocent brothers and sisters are being starved like this because of selfish actions by a group of people..
I can see now that you were upset when you wrote your first post. The topic is fine, the tone of the post was my only problem. Much better tone now. More people will listen without closing up.

I grew up in the Methodist Church, and my father (still is) and his father were ministers in the church. The MC has done many good works and I would like to believe that aid is given without strings (and I imagine that is the case).

BTW, Bush became a Methodist a little over two decades ago after he married his Methodist wife, Laura. Hmm.

I myself had to leave the MC, because I cannot accept traditional Christology or Christian Mysticism. My personal religion is a synthesis of all the world's religions - distilled from a common essence of humanity. I collect religious books from all religions and in many languages.

Last edited:
klusener said:
The third might be questionable to people like you, but their editor is a very good man, their headquarters is also very close to my house in India. Maybe the word "firangi" in that article unsettled you, if you know what it means.

I really doubt the journalistic standards of this third source.

That last line is sufficient to describe the article as reactionary and dangerous, not to say anything about losing all semblance of journalistic objectivity.

Klusener, we understand your feelings, but there would be no purpose served by making this thread an angry quarrel between two sides. Let's stick to a civil tone, wot ?

klusener said:
any Southern Baptists here? you better not give me your address.. what do you think is going to happen to those poor villagers without food and water? They are going to die and I don't think Jesus likes it when you leave people to die like that..
I was brought up Southern Baptist and our Church supported a few Missionaries in South America but very minimally. Their mission was to bring the faith, not the money. Also, not all SB's are like that but I believe the majority are. It is disturbing how love for mankind is preached and then as a child you have to deal with people being asked not to return because of the color of their skin. That church is now defunct.

Gokul43201 said:
Klusener, we understand your feelings, but there would be no purpose served by making this thread an angry quarrel between two sides. Let's stick to a civil tone, wot ?

Yes, I realized that not all Christians are like that and I am sure that there are many who are truly helping in other places.. But again that first post was made on the spur of the moment and that was my mistake..

It has a negative connotation : as in 'unwanted outsiders'. Sort of like the Japanese 'gaijin'.

the number 42 said:
I got as far as: "Feringhee/Firangi: a Hindustani term for Europeans"
http://uk.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue_frontmatter.asp?isbn=9780521832748
I presume it has connotations - so what does it mean?

I believe at the beginning it was just that, used as a term for people from other countries with no background meaning... But you know as time progressed and the conflicts with the English and all that, it took on a different meaning.. When the Massacres at Jallianwalabagh and other places took place, people began to see the British in a different light, and therefore the word firangi was seen in a different light also..

Gokul43201 said:
It has a negative connotation : as in 'unwanted outsiders'. Sort of like the Japanese 'gaijin'.

Actually, the first time I actually heard that word used was in Lagaan, since I am tamil, I really didn't know what it meant at first.

klusener said:
Yes, I realized that not all Christians are like that and I am sure that there are many who are truly helping in other places.. But again that first post was made on the spur of the moment and that was my mistake..

Good !

It is a terribly sad thing, but I do believe it is a stray incident, the likes of which you will see everywhere. Whether the incident is telling of Christian Missionary doctrine, is a tough question, and worthy of debate, but I don't that this is the right place for that. More often than not, threads on sensitive matters like these devolve into flame-wars and get locked up.

Gokul43201 said:

klusener said:
I believe at the beginning it was just that, used as a term for people from other countries with no background meaning... But you know as time progressed and the conflicts with the English and all that, it took on a different meaning.. When the Massacres at Jallianwalabagh and other places took place, people began to see the British in a different light, and therefore the word firangi was seen in a different light also.

Thanks guys. Despite the wasted google, 'ferangi' is preferable to 'idiots' as is probably better describes the people you are referring to.

I have no problems with any religion in which the people 'practice' peace and goodwill to others, especially of other religions.

I have a big problem with religions in which religious leaders condemn other beliefs and justify violence against those with different beliefs or cultures.

Astronuc said:
I have no problems with any religion in which the people 'practice' peace and goodwill to others, especially of other religions.

I have a big problem with religions in which religious leaders condemn other beliefs and justify violence against those with different beliefs or cultures.

I reckon you could find examples of any religious texts being twisted to serve exploitation of others. I was amazed when the Aum cult used Buddhism to justify the sarin gas attacks on the Tokyo underground.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3443857.stm

Yeah - any religion (and culture for that matter) can be coopted or corrupted. Even in those which traditionally espouse non-violence, one can find individuals or groups, which adopt violence.

It is up to the individual to choose between good and bad.

I prefer to choose good.

I'm really glad to see that this thread managed to come under control. I also changed the thread name at klusener's request

If these missionaries asked the tsunami victims to convert, they should be immediately deported and banned from re-entering. That kind of conduct is unconscionable.

the number 42, I accidently deleted your last post. That's what happens when I try to post before having my first cup of coffee, I'm sorry.

Can't undelete it?

Hurkyl said:
Can't undelete it?
I hit "edit" and you can't un-edit a post after you hit "submit". :frown:

klusener said:
The mission assignment entitled “Jericho Prayerwalk” calls for missionaries to visit “one of the holiest temples“ once a day (at differing times) to walk around the complex praying for the people group. Pray specifically that the walls to the Gospel message will collapse like the walls of Jericho in Joshua.” ...

I have no problem with that. If the God of the missionaries is false, there will be no destruction.

That is, if the missionaries don't resort to the use of explosives, the way the Muslims in Afghanistan did a few years back: http://www.institute-for-afghan-stu...AL TREASURES/statues_destroyed/chronology.htm

Janitor said:
I have no problem with that. If the God of the missionaries is false, there will be no destruction.
I have a problem with it. I wonder how a Southern Baptist Church, or any Christian church in the US for that matter would feel about a group of non christians going into and walking around their church praying for it's demise? That's just plain NUTS.

Back