The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever

In summary, the SS puzzle asks 3 questions and gets 3 responses. If one of the propositions in the SS puzzle is false, then the False god would lie about that proposition.
gravenewworld
Seems like no one got it so here it is without further adieu (sp?) http://people.ucsc.edu/~jburke/three_gods.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch,mamma,that was...hm...2 smart for me...:cry:

Daniel.

I understand how the puzzle was solved, but I have two problems with it.
1. shouldn't be able to make up words "iff"
2. the second question "...iff Rome is in Italy" isn't logically correct. Can't assume Rome is in Italy

?

iff=if and only if is standard vocabulary in math and philosophy

new one for me, why not say if and only if

because mathematicians are notoriously lazy

There's a Rome in NY state as well,if I'm not mistaking...:wink:So Trib's right...

Daniel.

I figured out the 3 component puzzles before reading on and got answers using XOR instead. Being a computer science major, I thought of XOR before XNOR (XNOR is iff). It works out the same, just reversed.

Still, Boolos limited himself in his choice of questions; if you ask True or False what Random says next, they can only be silent.

Ok, that is one brilliant puzzle.

so by this iff reasoning we can ask things like:
Are you goign to say yes, the 2nd guy no, and the thrd guy yes to the question "blah blah"

I think that's sort of a copout, like asking multiple questions in one.

The original problem should not limit you to asking "only 3 questions" but getting only 3 responses.

You still get 3 responses.

I don't know why he assumes the False god would lie about a biconditional (or, for that matter, any compound proposition) but not about its constituent propositions. In [S <-> P], there are 3 propositions in question: S, P, and [S <-> P]. It makes as much sense, if not more, to assume False would lie about all 3. It doesn't effect his conclusion, but still...
Eh, I was going to maybe write and ask him but I see that's unfortunately not possible. Great puzzle still.

Last edited:
Bump. I still keep getting PM's asking for the solution to this problem all the time.

1. What is "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever"?

"The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever" is a famous logic puzzle that was created by philosopher and mathematician George Boolos. It is known as the hardest logic puzzle ever because it is designed to be extremely difficult to solve.

2. What is the premise of "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever"?

The premise of "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever" is that there are three gods, A, B, and C, who are all-knowing, all-powerful, and always truthful. The goal of the puzzle is to correctly identify each god based on their responses to a series of yes or no questions.

3. What makes "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever" so challenging?

"The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever" is challenging because it requires logical reasoning and deduction to determine the identities of the three gods. The puzzle is designed to be tricky and can lead to incorrect assumptions if not carefully thought out.

4. Are there any known strategies or techniques for solving "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever"?

There are several known strategies and techniques for solving "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever". These include using truth tables, creating a visual representation of the possible outcomes, and eliminating contradicting responses from the gods.

5. Has "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever" been solved?

Yes, "The Solution To The Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever" has been solved by many people, including mathematicians and computer programs. However, the puzzle remains challenging and is still considered one of the most difficult logic puzzles ever created.