Find Real Values of a for 3 Distinct Roots of x^2-3x+a=0

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the real values of a for which the equation x^2-3x+a=0 has three real and distinct roots. The attempt at a solution involved writing the sign scheme of f'(x) but did not prove helpful. The question of whether there are two or three real and distinct roots is clarified. The conversation also suggests finding values of a as roots of the function x^3 in order to factor out a quadratic and determine the number of extreme values.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The real values of a for which the equation x^2-3x+a=0 has three real and distinct roots is

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by writing the sign scheme of f'(x). But it is of no help to me. It will merely tell me the intervals in which f(x) increases or decreases. Also, if there are three distinct roots of f(x) then there must be two extrema.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you write down the problem statement correctly? If a is a real constant, then the equation x2 -3x + a = 0 gives the roots of a quadratic, which by the FTOA, there is exactly 2 roots in ##\mathbb{C}##. Did you mean to write 'two real and distinct roots?

CAF123 said:
Did you write down the problem statement correctly? If a is a real constant, then the equation x2 -3x + a = 0 gives the roots of a quadratic, which by the FTOA, there is exactly 2 roots in ##\mathbb{C}##. Did you mean to write 'two real and distinct roots?

I'm really sorry. It is x^3.

Sketch the plot - for three distinct roots the extremes must be on both sides of the abscissa. And "a" changes position of the plot with regard to abscissa, so for some values you will have just one root, for some values two roots, and for some values three roots. Think how these things change depending on the number of extreme values and how the number of extreme values depend on "a".

Likes 1 person
You could try finding what values of a are roots of that function. That will allow you to factor out an (x±a) and you are automatically left with a simple quadratic

1. What is the equation for finding the real values of a with 3 distinct roots?

The equation for finding the real values of a with 3 distinct roots is x^2-3x+a=0.

2. How many solutions does the equation have?

The equation has three distinct solutions, since it is a quadratic equation with a degree of 2.

3. Can the equation have imaginary solutions?

Yes, it is possible for the equation to have imaginary solutions. However, for the equation to have 3 distinct real solutions, the discriminant (b^2-4ac) must be greater than 0.

4. How can I solve for the real values of a?

To solve for the real values of a, you can use the quadratic formula: a = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. You can also use graphing or factoring to find the real values of a.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of a for the equation to have 3 distinct real roots?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of a. For the equation to have 3 distinct real roots, the discriminant (b^2-4ac) must be greater than 0. This means that a cannot be zero, and the value of a must be such that the quadratic equation has two distinct real solutions.