Chemical bonding, is this book good?

In summary, the individual is struggling to understand the theories of chemical bonding, specifically in relation to Organic Chemistry. They are considering reading a book by Linus Pauling, but are unsure if it is at their level or too advanced. They are also wondering if there are any more up-to-date book recommendations. The conversation also mentions the basics of modern chemistry and the expectation for students to understand covalent bonding using valence bond theory. It is advised to focus on the basics before delving into more complex topics in chemistry.
rocomath
So I'm having trouble grasping the theories of Chemical bonding and I'm taking Organic Chemistry.

I know it's not realistic that I will truly understand it, but I'd like some grasp of it.

This book is written by Linus Pauling and I know he is a 2-time Nobel Prize winner, but is this book at my level or too advance? It didn't state so I'm not sure.

The Nature of the Chemical Bond and the Structure of Molecules and Crystals; An Introduction to Modern Structural Chemistry.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0801403332/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Is this book too old? Any recommendations on a more up to date book, thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you understand the basic concepts of modern chemistry (moles, symbols, valence and electronegativity) you will know all you need to begin your organic chemistry course. With which theories of chemical bonding are you having trouble? With only a few exceptions (like hydrogen bonding), covalent bonding between carbon and hydrogen, sulfur, nitrogen, oxygen and halogens are all that you will likely discuss.

What chemisttree said, most universities will expect you to understand the basics of covalent bonding using a valence bond theory method, I.E. one electron from one atom and one from another making a covalent bond which is asymettrically shared between atoms of different electronegativity.

Reading a chemical bonding book too early maybe intellectually fastinating, but may throw you into learning molecular orbital and Linear combination of atomic orbitals, along with wavefunction additions and other takes on modern day theories, which can be somewhat confusing to grasp in an individual learning situation and its best to let the university slip you into that stuff so your much more confident about learning all the different takes on these things.

1. What is chemical bonding?

Chemical bonding is the process by which atoms or molecules are held together to form larger molecules or compounds. It involves the sharing, transfer, or redistribution of electrons between atoms to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

2. How does chemical bonding affect the properties of a substance?

Chemical bonding greatly influences the physical and chemical properties of a substance. The type of bond formed between atoms determines the strength and stability of the substance, as well as its melting and boiling points, solubility, and conductivity.

3. What are the different types of chemical bonds?

The three main types of chemical bonds are ionic, covalent, and metallic. Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between atoms, covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons, and metallic bonds involve the delocalization of electrons between atoms in a metal lattice.

4. How can understanding chemical bonding be helpful in everyday life?

Understanding chemical bonding is crucial in various everyday applications, such as in cooking, cleaning, and medicine. For example, knowing the types of bonds present in a molecule can help determine its reactivity and potential uses. Additionally, understanding bonding can aid in selecting the right materials for construction or designing new products.

5. Is this book a good resource for learning about chemical bonding?

I cannot accurately answer this question without knowing the specific book in question. However, some factors to consider when evaluating the quality of a book on chemical bonding include the author's credentials, the book's level of detail and accuracy, and reviews from other readers or experts in the field.