How to find velocity given coefficient of friction, distance, mass and v1?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the final velocity of an object sliding across a surface with given values for coefficient of friction, distance, initial velocity, and mass. The equations for force and kinetic energy are mentioned, along with a suggestion to use additional equations for work and change in kinetic energy. The speaker expresses confusion and requests help with the process.
Ingrid44

Homework Statement

calculate the final velocity of an object sliding across a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.2, a distance of 3m, an initial velocity of 50m/s and the object's mass of 100kg.
μ=0.2
v1= 50m/s
d=3m
m=100kg
v2= ?

Homework Equations

I know
F= μ*normal force (mg)
Kinetic Energy= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused and can't see how to get to the answer. Sorry, its been long since I took physics, I will really appreciate some help. Just the process of getting there. THANK YOU :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple more equations for you:

[tex]W = Fd[/tex]

[tex]W = \Delta K[/tex]
(K is kinetic energy)

Does that help?

To find the final velocity of an object sliding across a surface, we can use the equation: v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad - 2μmgd.

First, we need to find the normal force (N) acting on the object, which is equal to the object's weight (mg) multiplied by the coefficient of friction (μ). So, N = μmg = 0.2 * 100kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 196N.

Next, we can plug in the given values into the equation: v2^2 = (50m/s)^2 + 2(0.2)(100kg)(9.8m/s^2)(3m) - 2(0.2)(100kg)(9.8m/s^2)(3m).

Simplifying, we get v2^2 = 2500m^2/s^2 + 1176m^2/s^2 - 1176m^2/s^2 = 2500m^2/s^2.

Taking the square root of both sides, we get v2 = √2500m^2/s^2 = 50m/s.

Therefore, the final velocity of the object is 50m/s.

1. What is the formula for finding velocity with given information?

The formula for finding velocity (v2) with given coefficient of friction (µ), distance (d), mass (m), and initial velocity (v1) is v2 = v1 + √(2µgd/m), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How do I determine the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction (µ) can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface divided by the weight of the object. It can also be found in tables or online for different materials.

3. Can I calculate velocity with only two of the given values?

No, all four values (µ, d, m, and v1) are needed to accurately calculate velocity. If one value is missing, it can be solved for by rearranging the formula v2 = v1 + √(2µgd/m).

4. How does increasing or decreasing the coefficient of friction affect velocity?

Increasing the coefficient of friction will result in a decrease in velocity, while decreasing the coefficient of friction will result in an increase in velocity. This is because a higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to motion, slowing down the object.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that can be achieved with given information?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that can be achieved with given information. This is because as velocity increases, the force of air resistance also increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and resulting in a constant velocity. This maximum velocity can be calculated by setting v2 = 0 in the formula v2 = v1 + √(2µgd/m) and solving for d.