Double slit experiment with spin

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the double slit experiment and how the spin of electrons affects the interference pattern. According to the book, if the electrons passing through the slits have different spin states, there will be no interference pattern. This is because the eigenstates of the electrons passing through each slit are different. The conversation also mentions the concept of eigenstates and how they impact the interference pattern.
abomination5
Hi everyone,

I have a question concerning the double slit experiment that I would like clarified. According to a book I am reading if the electrons passing through slit A are of spin up and the electrons passing through B are of spin down then there will be no interference pattern (just the sum of the individual intensities).

According to the book this is because "the eigenstate of the electrons passing through slit A is different then the eigenstate of the system passing through B." I agree with this but I don't see how it leads to no intensity pattern.

Thanks for your help,
Abomination5

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think I figured it out but if you have any insightful comments please go ahead!

The reason is that the eigenstate of particles going through A is |A,+> and through B is |B,->. Now if both were known to be spin up then we couldn't know the eigenstate of a single electron traveling through A or B. It is just some linear combination a|A,+> + b|B,+>.

Hello Abomination5,

Thank you for your question. The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that has been used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter. In this experiment, a beam of particles, such as electrons, is passed through two parallel slits and the resulting pattern on a screen is observed.

In the case of particles with spin, such as electrons, the spin state of the particle can also be considered in the experiment. This means that the particle can have a certain orientation of its intrinsic angular momentum, which can be either "up" or "down" in the case of spin-1/2 particles like electrons. This adds an extra degree of freedom to the experiment.

When the electrons passing through slit A are of spin up and the electrons passing through B are of spin down, they are in different eigenstates, or states of definite spin. This means that they have different probabilities of passing through the slits and reaching the screen. As a result, the interference pattern that would normally be observed with particles of the same spin state is disrupted, and only the sum of the individual intensities is observed.

This can be explained by the principle of superposition in quantum mechanics, which states that the total state of a system is a combination of all possible individual states. In this case, the different spin states of the electrons passing through the slits interfere with each other, resulting in a different pattern on the screen.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the double slit experiment with spin?

The double slit experiment with spin is a variation of the classic double slit experiment in quantum mechanics, which investigates the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles. In this experiment, particles with spin (such as electrons) are sent through a double slit and their spin is measured upon exiting the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment with spin work?

In the double slit experiment with spin, particles are sent one by one through a double slit. On the other side of the slits, there are detectors that measure the spin of the particles as they pass through. The results of the spin measurements are recorded and analyzed to understand the behavior of particles with spin.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment with spin?

The double slit experiment with spin is significant because it helps to further our understanding of the nature of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles with spin. It also provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles, as the particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties in this experiment.

4. How does the outcome of the double slit experiment with spin differ from the classic double slit experiment?

In the classic double slit experiment, particles exhibit interference patterns when passing through the slits, indicating their wave-like behavior. However, in the double slit experiment with spin, the particles do not exhibit interference patterns and their spin measurements are randomly distributed, indicating their particle-like behavior.

5. What are some potential applications of the double slit experiment with spin?

The double slit experiment with spin has potential applications in various fields, including quantum computing and cryptography. It can also help in developing new technologies that utilize the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles, such as electron microscopy and particle accelerators.