The equation for length of a curve: what are the integral ends?

I just felt like I was missing something, but I guess not! Thanks for the help!In summary, the length of the given curve from <0,0,-3> to <1, 2, -3> can be calculated by taking the derivative of the curve, plugging it into the length formula, and integrating from 0 to 1. The x component is 1 when t is 1, and the y component is 2 when t is 1. This method is correct and the notes did not fully explain it.
Cloudless

Homework Statement

The given curve is r(t) = <t2, 2t, -3>

Write an equation for the length of the curve from <0,0,-3> to <1, 2, -3>

2. The attempt at a solution

I take the derivative of r(t) for r'(t), then plug it into the length formula.

L = ∫ of √( (2t)2 + 22 )

For the Integral, I put from 0 to 1, because in the original equation, the x component t2 = 1 when t is 1, and the y component 2t = 2 when t is 1.

Am I doing something wrong? o_o

Physics news on Phys.org
Cloudless said:

Homework Statement

The given curve is r(t) = <t2, 2t, -3>

Write an equation for the length of the curve from <0,0,-3> to <1, 2, -3>

2. The attempt at a solution

I take the derivative of r(t) for r'(t), then plug it into the length formula.

L = ∫ of √( (2t)2 + 22 )

For the Integral, I put from 0 to 1, because in the original equation, the x component t2 = 1 when t is 1, and the y component 2t = 2 when t is 1.

Am I doing something wrong? o_o

Seems ok to me. Why do you think you are doing something wrong?

Ah ok. The notes never fully explained it so I was doing it by instinct mostly. xD

Thanks

dunno

Last edited:

1. What is the equation for the length of a curve?

The equation for the length of a curve is the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the curve with respect to the independent variable.

2. What do the integral ends represent in the equation for length of a curve?

The integral ends represent the interval over which the curve is being measured. This interval can be specified by providing the lower and upper limits of the independent variable.

3. How do you calculate the length of a curve using the integral ends?

To calculate the length of a curve using the integral ends, you first need to determine the curve's equation and its derivatives. Then, plug these values into the length equation and evaluate the integral using the provided limits.

4. Can the integral ends be negative or non-numeric values?

Yes, the integral ends can be negative or non-numeric values as long as they are within the interval of the curve being measured. However, it is important to ensure that the integral ends are within the domain of the curve's equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the equation for length of a curve?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the equation for length of a curve. This equation assumes that the curve is continuous and smooth, and the integral ends must be within the domain of the curve's equation. Additionally, it may not be possible to calculate the length of a curve with complex or non-analytic equations.