Showing a finite field has an extension of degree n

In summary, to show that F has a field extension of degree n, we can use the fact that F is a finite field and construct a field extension by adjoining elements of G' that are not in G. This field extension will have degree n and prove the statement.
ttzhou

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]F[/itex] is a finite field and [itex]n > 0[/itex].

Show that [itex]F[/itex] has a field extension of degree [itex]n[/itex]

Homework Equations

Tower Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]p^m[/itex] be the size of [itex]F[/itex]

It's trivial to note by characterization that there exists a finite field [itex]G'[/itex] of size [itex]p^{mn}[/itex] which has a subfield [itex]G[/itex] of size [itex]p^m[/itex].

Then [itex]G \cong F[/itex]; by Tower Law, [itex][G' : G][/itex] is of degree n.

I'm having trouble showing that there is an extension of [itex]F[/itex] that has degree n, however; I tried finding some isomorphism and using theorems about algebraic elements, but for some reason this stuff is not clicking in my head.

I'm beginning to think the question only requires that I show that there is a field extension of an isomorphic copy, but that can't be right.

Please give tiny hints only that can push me in the right direction or clarify some glaring error I've made.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

You are on the right track! The key to this problem is to use the fact that F is a finite field, which means it has a finite number of elements. Since we know that there exists a finite field G' of size p^{mn} with a subfield G of size p^m, we can use the fact that G \cong F to show that there must be a field extension of F with degree n.

To do this, consider the elements of G' that are not in G. These elements must be algebraic over G, since G is a finite field and therefore every element of G' must be algebraic over it. This means that there is some polynomial of degree n that has these elements as roots. Therefore, we can construct a field extension of F by adjoining these elements to F and considering the field generated by F and these elements. This field extension will have degree n, since the polynomial we used to construct it has degree n.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any further clarification.

1. What is a finite field?

A finite field is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication. Examples of finite fields include the prime fields and extension fields.

2. What does it mean for a finite field to have an extension?

An extension of a finite field is a larger finite field that contains the original finite field as a subfield. This means that all of the elements and operations of the original finite field are also present in the extension field, along with additional elements and operations.

3. How is the degree of an extension field determined?

The degree of an extension field is determined by the number of elements that are added to the original finite field to create the extension field. This number is denoted by n, where n is a positive integer.

4. What are some methods for showing that a finite field has an extension of degree n?

One method is to construct a field extension using polynomials and prove that the extension has the desired degree. Another method is to use the primitive element theorem, which states that every finite extension field has a primitive element that generates the entire field.

5. Why is it important to show that a finite field has an extension of degree n?

Showing that a finite field has an extension of degree n is important because it allows us to construct larger finite fields that possess certain desired properties. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and coding theory.