Inconsistent Reflection and Transmission values-step potential & E < V

In summary, for a step potential with energy E < V, the wave function is fully reflected with no transmission into the potential interval. The probability current density in interval 1 does not match the incident wave, but this is due to some particles going further before reflecting back. The interpretation of the equation for probability current density can be confusing, but when |ρ(E)|2 = 1, it results in full reflection.
hnicholls
I can show that for a step potential and E < V, that the wave function is fully reflected and has no transmission into the potential interval (interval 2), x =0 at interval boundary, by

Wave equation for interval 1: Ψ1 = A1eik1x + B1e-ik1x

Wave equation for interval 2: Ψ2 = A2eκ2x

where B1 = A1 (k1 - iκ2)/(k1 + iκ2)

and

A2 = A1 (2k1)/(k1 + ik2)

Further B1/A1 = (k1 - iκ2)/(k1 + iκ2)

|B1|/|A1| = (k12 - iκ22)1/2/(k21 + iκ22)1/2 = 1

and |B1| = |A1| by which we can conclude full reflection.

However, if I calculate the reflection and transmission value by the probability current density, I find,

For interval 1

j1x = ħk1/m (|A1|2 -|A1|2|ρ(E)|2)

where

|ρ(E)| = (k1 - iκ2)/(k1 + iκ2)

But with this value for |ρ(E)| the probability current density in interval 1 does not match the probability current density of the incident wave, i.e.

jincidentx = ħk1/m (|A1|2)

But these must match for full reflection.

Not sure how I am getting this result.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure I got your question, but if E<V then you should be getting full reflection, however as best as I can imagine it, not all of them reflect at the barrier (step), some of them go a little further before coming back. So you will find some probability density out past the step and correspondingly you won't find all of your particles on the same side as your source. But, you will also find that they all reflect (eventually).

Thank you. I believe my confusion relates to the interpretation of

j1x = ħk1/m (|A1|2 -|A1|2|ρ(E)|2)

I see when |ρ(E)|2 = 1

then

j1x = ħk1/m (|A1|2 -|A1|2|)

reflects the identical probability current density flux proceeding to the right and then to the left, i.e. full reflection.

What causes inconsistent reflection and transmission values in step potential scenarios?

The behavior of electrons at the interface between two potential barriers results in inconsistent reflection and transmission values. When an electron encounters a potential barrier, it can either be reflected back or transmitted through the barrier. The probability of each outcome depends on the energy of the electron and the height and width of the barrier.

How does the energy of the electron affect the reflection and transmission probabilities?

The energy of the electron is a crucial factor in determining the reflection and transmission probabilities. When the energy of the electron is lower than the potential barrier, it is more likely to be reflected back. However, when the energy is higher than the barrier, the electron has a higher chance of being transmitted through the barrier.

Why do some step potential scenarios result in perfect transmission or reflection?

In some cases, the energy of the electron is perfectly matched with the potential barrier, resulting in complete transmission or reflection. This is known as resonance and occurs when the energy of the electron is equal to the height of the barrier. When this happens, the electron's wave function aligns with the barrier, allowing it to easily pass through or be reflected.

Are there any other factors that can affect the reflection and transmission probabilities in step potential scenarios?

Yes, the width and shape of the potential barrier can also impact the reflection and transmission probabilities. A wider barrier or a barrier with a different shape than a simple step can change the electron's behavior and result in different probabilities. Additionally, the potential barrier's material properties, such as its dielectric constant, can also affect the reflection and transmission probabilities.

How can inconsistent reflection and transmission values be useful in scientific research?

Inconsistent reflection and transmission values can provide valuable insights into the behavior of electrons in potential barriers. By studying these values, scientists can better understand the properties of different materials and how electrons interact with them. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as materials science and electronics, to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.