Ceramic Properties vs. Solid Properties

by shakystew
Tags: ceramics, material propteries
Share this thread:
shakystew
Aug9-13, 01:48 PM
P: 13
Hello,

Quick run-down: I am attempting to model thin film materials (e.g. Ti-Al-N) for thermal analysis. I amconfused on how to figure out the number density of Nitrogen for a ceramic. Allthe tables I have in school textbooks are for gas (~0.0013 g/cm3). I can finddensity of nitrogen/oxygen in a solid state, but is this the correct density?

Question: Is the density of the solid state the correct density to use for modelling ceramics? I realizethe structural differences, but not certain if the density can be estimated to bethe same.

Any assistance will be much appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Identifying long-distance threats: New 3D technology could improve CCTV images
Intelligent system that predicts when alarms might be triggered could greatly improve the management of industrial plant
3D printed nose wins design award
Baluncore
Aug9-13, 02:58 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,908
The cutting edge of technology.
If you know the structure, maybe you can calculate the density from the ionic radii.
Calculate also for another similar material with a known density to check the method.
See the table here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_radius
ChaseRLewis
Sep2-13, 02:41 AM
P: 43
It's pretty easy if you know the structure. If you don't then some sort of mass spec is your only hope on a real sample.

You basically need to find a repeating unit of structure then calculate the weight / volume of that repeating unit. On planar surfaces sometimes planar density is calculated as weight / area instead like graphene as it's thickness is pretty much non-existent.

If you have the chemical formula (which may not be consistent for a thin film if it is doped) you assume you have a repeating unit of the chemical formula calculate the percent mass of Nitrogen and multiply that by total mass/total volume. Similar to above, but easier.

Otherwise you do a mass spec of the results figure % mass nitrogen and divide by volume.

Register to reply