What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
DanP said:
I'm your hell, I'm your dream, I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

You didn't just quote Alanis Morissette did you? :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
cristo said:
:yuck:

you hate her ?

DanP said:
you hate her ?

You could say that. I mean, come on, she wrote a song about a word she didn't even know the definition of!

cristo said:
You could say that. I mean, come on, she wrote a song about a word she didn't even know the definition of!

Hahaha !:wink:

cristo said:

I'm pretty sure that's a Meredith Brook quote anyway :tongue2:

cristo said:

I was going to say it was Meredith Brooks but when I checked to make sure I had the name right it turns out Morissette did a cover of it. Odd.

whybother said:
I'm pretty sure that's a Meredith Brook quote anyway :tongue2:

Oh yeah, you're right. Well, they're pretty much the same person anyway...

cristo said:

:rofl:

And then she wrote another song about how successful that one was!

'cuz I've got one hand in your pocket
And the other one is writin' out a deposit slip...

DaveC426913 said:
Uh, we're not talkin' "zany" dancing barefoot in the fountain crazy. We're talkin' prescription antidepressant 4AM sojourns in 2 feet of snow through suburbs chasing a hysterical person who's in nothing but pyjamas the night before your big exam crazy.

so far, I've done "needs to be on anti-anxiety meds and we can't even stop in the middle of the day to get a bite to eat in New Orleans 15 years before Katrina" crazy, and "childhood sexual abuse leads to multiple personalities that come out at weird times, couldn't stay in college and married the first guy that would get me away from my parents" crazy. i feel like I've got a decent grasp of the subject.

You have done nothing, when a girl you love suddenly terminates contact with you for two weeks because she thinks you're a spy from her father who then calls you again crying afterwards, then you know you've hit on the pot of gold of paranoid insanity.

But cute, yeah, it's cute.

Well, were you a spy?

Not really, never spoke to the guy, apparently they had some difficult business with court cases with him.

The strange part was that they were all friends except for that court cases and she spoke him every day on the phone.

Kajahtava said:
You have done nothing, when a girl you love suddenly terminates contact with you for two weeks because she thinks you're a spy from her father who then calls you again crying afterwards, then you know you've hit on the pot of gold of paranoid insanity.

But cute, yeah, it's cute.

heh, this just sounds like the monthly kind of crazy to me.

Proton Soup said:
heh, this just sounds like the monthly kind of crazy to me.
Oh, she didn't have a period yet back then.

what?

I was kidding, before I get this guy knocking on my door.

ChrisHansen.jpg

By the way, to play the Devil's advocate, there is very little evidence that suggests that humans are the only mammals on the planet where individuals whose reproductive organs become operation and whose hormones start triggering an interest in sex are some how not 'ready for it', what-ever that means. Historically evidence also undeniably shows that it's not a universal cultural acceptance by far.

Or as they say, old enough to bleed, old enough to breed. But I thought 'Old enough to talk, old enough to ****.' was an interesting dogma too.

MissSilvy said:
what qualities do 'nerdy' boys like in girls?

Sorry, I believe only cool guys around here (physics forums) so I think it will be hard to you find the answer...=)

Anyway, I personally have number of different "profiles" I find attractive.
(Different sets of traits...)

In general, girls like infinite series can be sorted into 3 groups:
If they absolutely convergent they are boring...
If they divergent they are scary...
Rest cases can be very interesting, and subject to further research...

*Mandatory properties =):
1.Polite/politesse.
2.Gentle.

Last edited:
MissSilvy said:
Let's turn the tables for a second: what qualities do 'nerdy' boys like in girls?

I love 'nerdy' boys and I'm very lucky that my school is quite science and tech focused. However, a lot of them are incredibly cute and endearing but very shy and give off mixed signals. With other guys, it's fairly straight forward but I know quite a few self-professed 'dorks' that I would go out to dinner with if only they'd ask.

There have been numerous threads on what girls like in guys, but now I'm asking the opposite question; what do smart guys like yourselves like in girls? If possible, I'd be interested in opinions on or from college-aged guys. Thanks!

('Sex' is not an answer. Nice try, PF but I'm looking for more subtle points :))

MissSilvy said:
Current junior in physics at a pretty well ranked university, but our physics department has an 11 to 1 ratio of men to women. I don't feel academically intimidated or opressed or anything but I HATE that I can't ever get along casually with my fellow students. The two girls I see sometimes and myself get along fine, but every single time I try to put together a study group or just hang out in the physics lounge with a few guys, it always turns into this awkward unreciprocated attraction. Literally, without exception so far. Which leads to poor nerdy guys working up to courage to awkwardly ask me out to get a coffee sometime and me gently saying no, but by then the friendship is shot.

This is in no way to be constructed as "Haha, I'm so good looking that everyone wants me!" because just having a pair of breasts seems to do the trick, but come on now. This situation is getting ridiculous. I don't want to date, I don't have time to date, and I am not attracted to any of them. I want a few people I can hang out with, talk about physics, and possibly moan about classes. It's going to be a lonely two years if this keeps up and I'm not looking forward to that :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2748163#post2748163

Talk about cognitive dissonance.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
What's wrong with c.d.? :rofl: Even more to the point, what's wrong with temporal dissonance?

EnumaElish said:
What's wrong with c.d.? :rofl: Even more to the point, what's wrong with temporal dissonance?
Yes. What's wrong with chaotic flips? A real strange attractor if you ask me.

zoobyshoe said:
We all go through phases...

EnumaElish said:
We all go through phases...
I found high school to be the most hilarious. I spent that time watching the drama everyone else was having. People went through some very intersting phases there.

zoobyshoe said:

:rofl:

My thoughts exactly.

zoobyshoe said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2748163

No, it is perfectly logical, this thread is over a year old. Back then she wanted to attract the nerds, she got some tips and then she become a nerd magnet! Then she got bored of nerds so now she is asking how to make them stop.

Or she could just be moody.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:

perhaps you are not familiar with the female species. these things tend to correlate with the tides.

Klockan3 said:
No, it is perfectly logical, this thread is over a year old. Back then she wanted to attract the nerds, she got some tips and then she become a nerd magnet! Then she got bored of nerds so now she is asking how to make them stop.

Or she could just be moody.

Ah, she learned the lessons from this thread too well. A little like the sorcerer's apprentice.

BobG said:
Ah, she learned the lessons from this thread too well. A little like the sorcerer's apprentice.

Christ, I'll say. A cautionary tale about getting what you ask for indeed.

MissSilvy said:
Christ, I'll say. A cautionary tale about getting what you ask for indeed.

Oh puhlease. Years from now you'll look back with regret on your college years wondering what if..

We will still be here of course, pragmatic and epicurean. You, on the other hand, might miss out on something great.

True but I know I won't miss the smell :P

This should sum it up

Last edited:
MissSilvy said:
True but I know I won't miss the smell :P
Nerd sweat?

MissSilvy said:
Let's turn the tables for a second: what qualities do 'nerdy' boys like in girls?

Now that I've read your other thread...apparently they just like that you're female. :rofl: (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

MissSilvy said:

That's a fairly subjective question. I've observed for the most part that they tend to like girls who are into sciences or mathematics. It implies similar interests. Personally I can't stand 'girly' girls. If I had to come up with an ideal sort of woman, it would be someone who wasn't obsessive over their appearance the way most women are, tough, etc. A girl without the sass so to speak.

In descending order of visual importance: slim, cute, tall
In descending order of manner: intelligent, reserved
All of the above are necessary, but to varying degrees.
What a surprisingly simple list...

It's interesting that the 'what do girls like in guys?' threads rarely get past two pages, but this one just doesn't seem to want to die. Maybe no one's every asked men what they like, or am I completely off the mark?