Solving Glancing Collision: 50Kg Object Velocity Before Collision

• Thread starter punjabi_monster
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the velocity of the 50.0 Kg object before the collision. The 50.0 Kg object was moving east at an unknown velocity before colliding with a 60.0 Kg stationary object. After the collision, the 50.0 Kg object is traveling at a velocity of 6.0 m/s 50.0° N of E, and the 60.0 Kg object is traveling at a velocity of 6.3 m/s 38° S of E. To solve this problem, one must apply the principle of conservation of linear momentum and resolve the velocities in perpendicular directions. Then, two equations can be formed and solved to determine the velocity components of the 50.0
punjabi_monster
Hi, i was wondering if someone could please help me on this question:

A 50.0 Kg Object is moving east at an unknown velocity when it collides with a 60.0 Kg stationary object. After the collsion, the 50.0 Kg object is traveling at a velocity of 6.0 m/s 50.0° N of E, and the 60.0 Kg object is traveling at a velocity of 6.3 m/s 38° S of E.

What was the velocity of the 50.0 Kg object before the collision?

Can someone please explain to me how this question is solved. Thank-you.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you are supposed to post your own solution before you ask for help.

What is your specific problem with this question? Do you know that the change in linear momentum of a system on which no external force acts, is zero? Can you think of applying this principle to this problem?

Sorry i didnt post my solution earlier, but i did not no what to do after this:

a=1st object
b=2nd Object
Ma=50.0 Kg
Va=?
Mb=60.0 Kg
Vb=0 m/s
Va'= 6.0 m/s 50.0° N or E
Vb'=6.3 m/s 38° S of E

Pa + Pb = Pa' + Pb'
Pa= Pa' + Pb'

Now from here what do you do in order to solve for Pb'?

Hi

You have to resolve the velocities in mutually perpendicular directions (say x and y) and write either one vector equation for the conservation of linear momentum or (which is the same thing really) two separate equations correspdonding to momenta along the two chosen axes. That will give you the equations to solve for the velocity components.

Like this

[tex]P_{A,x} + P_{B,x} = P'_{A,x} + P'_{B,x}[/tex]
[tex]P_{A,y} + P_{B,y} = P'_{A,y} + P'_{B,y}[/tex]

Cheers
Vivek

What is a glancing collision?

A glancing collision is a type of collision where two objects collide at an angle rather than directly head-on.

Why is solving glancing collisions important?

Solving glancing collisions is important because it helps us understand how the velocity and direction of objects can change after a collision, which is crucial in many real-world scenarios, such as car crashes or billiard games.

What does the 50kg object represent in this problem?

The 50kg object represents one of the objects involved in the glancing collision. Its mass is used to calculate its momentum and kinetic energy before and after the collision.

How is the velocity of the 50kg object before the collision determined?

The velocity of the 50kg object before the collision can be determined by measuring its speed and direction before the collision occurs. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as video analysis or using sensors.

What are the key factors to consider when solving a glancing collision?

The key factors to consider when solving a glancing collision are the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle of collision, and the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. These factors will determine the final velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.