Cool Math/Physics Lessons For 7th and 8th Graders?

• Thread starter MPKU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary, the conversation is about a person's attempt to post in the education section, but being unable to do so. They mention their sister, a middle school math teacher, wanting them to teach a lesson and ask for ideas. The person then shares a memory of a TV news show featuring creative ways of teaching science and math concepts, such as using a car to demonstrate F=ma and a paddle in a pool to show wave forms. They suggest finding similar examples online and simplifying the calculations for students.
MPKU
I tried to post this in the education section, however was notified I do not have access to do so? My apologies for any inconvenience.

Anyways, my sister who is a 7th and 8th grade mathematics teacher wanted me to come in and teach a lesson (I suppose because she's bored and I'm a Math/Physics major.. o_O)
and I was wondering if anyone had any neat concepts or ideas I could show them?

I'm pretty sure they are just learning fractions, rationals and irrationals and factoring (7th) and slope (8th).

It's tough for me because I've been dealing with upper level mathematics and would love to show off that, however, it clearly would be moot. So any ideas or demonstrations of math/physics I could show them?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
(apologies for late response, I'm an occasional troller of this forum only)

I recall seeing a TV news show once that showed a couple of clever teachers "breaking the mold" of science / math / physics teaching Jr. & Sr. High School students. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but a couple of examples:

Example 1:
The lesson was on F=ma. They put a car in a big flat parking lot. Car in neutral. Two students pushed on the rear of the car. Each student pushed on a bathroom scale which was placed on the trunk lid of the car. Their goal was to each apply a constant force to the car. As the car accelerated the two pushers had to move faster and faster to keep up with the acclerating car and maintain constant force. A chalk mark was made on one tire. Each time the chalk mark circled around to ground level another student called out the time-from-start and another student recorded the time. After the exercise they charted the results and estimated the mass of the vehicle.

Example 2:
Fuzzy here, but if I recall correctly: a "paddle" was constructed of a (for example) 1' X 8' piece of plywood. Upright 2x4's were nailed perpendicular to the plywood surface and a cross bar nailed to the uprights. Two students were placed at the end of a swimming pool and used the paddle to push into the water surface and create a cyclic wave action in the pool of varying frequency. Somehow (don't remember exactly) this was used to illustrate sine/cosine wave forms and physical wave action of certain frequencies. I vaguely recall a student was stations at the pool mid-point to measure the wave crests.

In the age of the internet I'm sure one could find plenty of examples of classroom exercises like this.

It doesn't matter if they can't do all of the calculations. You can set it up so that major calculations are already done so it simplifies it for them. (Do show the formulas/equations so that you aren't dumbing it down, which is disrespectful.) Then just get them to do the calculations they can do.

What are some fun and engaging ways to teach math and physics to 7th and 8th graders?

There are many ways to make math and physics lessons more interesting for middle school students. Some ideas include incorporating hands-on experiments, using interactive online activities, incorporating real-life examples and applications, and incorporating games and challenges.

What are some common misconceptions or challenges that students in 7th and 8th grade have about math and physics?

Some common misconceptions among middle school students about math and physics include thinking that these subjects are boring or too difficult, believing that they are not talented in these subjects, and struggling to see the real-world applications of these subjects. Some students may also have misconceptions about specific concepts, such as thinking that objects fall at different speeds based on their weight.

How can I make math and physics lessons relevant and applicable to students' everyday lives?

One way to make math and physics lessons more relevant is to incorporate real-life examples and applications. This can include using examples from students' daily lives, such as calculating distances or speeds of objects they encounter, or discussing how math and physics concepts are used in different careers and industries.

What are some ways to make math and physics lessons accessible for all students, including those who may struggle with these subjects?

Some ways to make math and physics lessons more accessible for all students include providing different learning options, such as visual aids or hands-on activities, incorporating real-life examples and applications, and offering additional support or resources for students who may need extra help. It is also important to create a positive and inclusive learning environment where students feel comfortable asking questions and seeking help.

How can I make math and physics lessons more engaging and interactive for students?

One way to make math and physics lessons more engaging and interactive is to incorporate hands-on experiments and activities. This can help students better understand and visualize abstract concepts. You can also use interactive online tools and games, incorporate group work and discussions, and provide opportunities for students to apply their knowledge to real-world problems.