Physics intrigues me but Math makes more sense. What to study?

In summary, the speaker is graduating with a Bachelors Degree in Physics, but found the theoretical classes to be unenjoyable and lacking in comprehensible logic. They discovered a greater affinity towards math and are considering pursuing a Masters Degree in mathematical physics. They are unsure if the arguments in physics become more mathematical at the graduate level and are concerned about ending up in a non-research related career. They are seeking advice and experiences from others to help make a decision.
WildOscar
Hi, I have the following problem, maybe someone relates.
I am about to finish my Bachelors Degree in Physics and must say it was a very unenjoyable road. I started it because since forever I was fascinated by the "great" ideas trying to explain reality that lie behind physics, i. e. Quantum Physics, GR, etc...

Now I know these topics are only really taught in a Masters Degree but having had some introductory classes i must say, they sucked. (no offence)
All the theoretical classes just seemed to not really follow a comprehendable logic. Everything was kinda "handwavy" and many arguments I just had to gloss over to understand. And therein lies my problem. After my quantum mechanics, or electrodynamics courses for example I never felt like understanding the topics at hand even though I did quite good in them. (I know no one understands QM but that's not what I mean)

I also took some actual Mathematics classes for a year and had a much better time with them. The process of really understanding something from the ground up and the logic behind every agument just felt a lot more, well... fun. And proofs instead of just calculating some integral all the time was way more creative and made the topics actually understandable from the very beginning. So basically I realized I had a greater affinity towards math.

And with that comes my actual question.. (Sorry for rambling that long, I just hope someone can emphasize)
I still love physics and nothing fascinates me more than the thought of studying and maybe researching the ideas behind, well reality itself. A motivation many here share i can imagine. But the actual process of learning physics was just tedious, way more than studying mathematics.
So does it get better with a Masters Degree? Do the arguments become more "mathematical" or better said logical? Or does it stay like... "Hey here's this thing someone came up with a hundred years ago that doesn't really make any sense and we won't be discussing why it is there but here are some long calculations you now have to do LOL."?
And also, if i go into Math now, can I still research Physics like I would with a Physics Degree or at least similarly? Because research in pure Math alone just doesn't seem very interesting from where I am at.

So it boils down to:
Physics is awesome but the process of learning it is a drag. Math comes easier to me but the thought of actually researching just pure math doesn't seem very interesting. Also the thought of ending up in some bank or making a car go faster REEEALLY sucks (Sorry for anyone doing such things just my own feelings)
So yeah... What to pursue?

Thanks for anyone just reading these stupid complaints.
But any answer or personal experience would really really help me out and actually might change my life because I am just stuck with this.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to study is called mathematical physics. Look for masters program in that realm.

Likes bhobba and PhDeezNutz
In my experience (having just graduated with a masters in physics) is that the arguments become MORE “hand wavy” or at least less substantiated at the graduate level. I’m sure if I had more math background I’d be able to cope with it better. For instance when adding (non-trivial) angular momentum states in QM I wish I had a lot more group theory background.

General Relativity is a field that seems to straddle both areas. In some universities, this is either interdepartmental (Math and Physics), and some (Math department) alone, and some (Physics) department.
I find that the differential geometry aspects are highly mathematical, more than many physicists are comfortable with.

If you like proofs, I know a mathematician who is studying non-analytic solutions to hyperbolic partial differential equations. These equations are the same class as Einstein's field equations, and I suspect that is why the math department (and he) is interested.

I am not good at mathematical proofs, but I appreciate the efforts of mathematicians to develop math that can guide physicists what to look for in solutions to equations they encounter. On the other hand, some physicists ( including me ) feel most solutions to equations in physics are analytic, and why look for "pathological" exception as solutions to partial differential equations. I have a split personality on this one.

I know there are mathematicians that do research in areas of physics. Perhaps, you can look for graduate schools with math departments with faculty that examine/investigate these areas.

WildOscar said:
researching the ideas behind, well reality itself
It is almost certain that your thesis will not be "The Nature of Reality Itself". It will more likely be "The Spectrum of Glopolium". If this is a problem,, you probably should do something else.

Likes malawi_glenn

1. What is the difference between physics and math?

Physics is the study of the natural world and the laws that govern it, while math is a tool used to describe and quantify the relationships between physical phenomena. In other words, physics is the study of the "what" and "why" of the universe, while math is the language used to express those concepts.

2. Which subject should I focus on if I am interested in both physics and math?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you are more interested in understanding the fundamental principles of the universe, then physics may be the better choice. However, if you enjoy problem-solving and applying mathematical concepts to real-world situations, math may be a better fit for you.

3. Is it possible to study both physics and math simultaneously?

Yes, many universities offer joint degrees or double majors in both physics and math. This can be a great option for students who are passionate about both subjects and want to explore the connections between them.

4. Which subject is more challenging, physics or math?

Both subjects have their own unique challenges. Physics can be challenging because it requires a deep understanding of complex concepts and their application to real-world situations. Math can be challenging because it involves abstract thinking and problem-solving skills. Ultimately, the level of difficulty will depend on your individual strengths and interests.

5. Are there any career opportunities that combine physics and math?

Yes, there are many career opportunities that require knowledge and skills in both physics and math. Some examples include working as a data scientist, aerospace engineer, or research scientist in fields such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics. Additionally, many industries, such as technology and finance, value individuals who have a strong background in both physics and math.