For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

• Thread starter Iceman123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discussed Newton's Third Law and its application to jet engines. It was explained that the law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a jet engine exerts a force on the exhaust gases, the gases also exert a force back on the engine. This allows for jet propulsion, as the momentum of the system is conserved. The conversation also addressed the misconception that the surrounding air exerts a force on the exhaust gases, when in reality it is the gases themselves that cause the movement of the jet.
Iceman123
This isn't really a homework question but it is something that I have been learning about out of school and this thought just popped into my head:

According to Newtons Third Law: "For evry action there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Now if you take a Jet engine,
It works on the fact that you are pushing force out of the back of the engine, so according to Newtons third law, there is a force pushing fowards.
If this force is equal and opposite of that coming out of the back of the engine, shouldn't you just stay stationary?

Thanks, Iceman123

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that the "action" and "reaction" forces in Newton's 3rd law always act on different bodies. Only if two equal and opposite forces act on the same body would they cancel.

Iceman123 said:
This isn't really a homework question but it is something that I have been learning about out of school and this thought just popped into my head:

According to Newtons Third Law: "For evry action there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Now if you take a Jet engine,
It works on the fact that you are pushing force out of the back of the engine, so according to Newtons third law, there is a force pushing fowards.
If this force is equal and opposite of that coming out of the back of the engine, shouldn't you just stay stationary?

Thanks, Iceman123

This law suggests that when body A exerts a force on body B , body B exerts the same magnitude of force , but at an opposite direction.
When the forces are equal (equilibrium) , it means either 2 things :
1. As you mentioned earlier in your post , the jet would be stationary .
2. The jet maybe moving at a constant speed (no acceleration).This is because there's no external or resultant force(s) acting on the jet plane.

I hope this will help you =)

Thanks v much,
Iceman 123

Just to be clear: The jet exerts a force on the exhaust gases; in turn, the exhaust gases exert an equal and opposite force on the jet. These two forces alone never produce equilibrium: one is a force on the gases; the other is a force on the jet.

In jet engine there is not really a force acting by the gas on the jet.

One of the great consequences of Newton's third law is that in a system, the net momentum (mass time velocity) is conserve.

And one consequence of the momentum conservation is that jet propulsion is possible.

Before the time that the gases are emitted, the momentum of the system is zero.

Suddently, gases are emitted let's say downward . So they have acquired a downward momentum.

The jet must react because the net momentum must be zero, so the jet will acquire a momentum in the upward direction.

borisleprof said:
In jet engine there is not really a force acting by the gas on the jet.
Of course, there is a force exerted by the gases on the jet, as Doc al correctly pointed out.
One of the great consequences of Newton's third law is that in a system, the net momentum (mass time velocity) is conserve.

And one consequence of the momentum conservation is that jet propulsion is possible.

Before the time that the gases are emitted, the momentum of the system is zero.

Suddently, gases are emitted let's say downward . So they have acquired a downward momentum.

The jet must react because the net momentum must be zero, so the jet will acquire a momentum in the upward direction.
How does the jet acquire this momentum? Why does it acquire this momentum? It's because the gas is exerting a force on the jet.

If the momentum of an object changes it's because there is a net force acting on the object. That's simply Newton's second law
[tex] \sum {\vec F} = {d {\vec p} \over dt} [/tex]

Yeah, that's entirely how jets and rockets work is change in momentum. To make any jet or rocket analysis worthwhile you have to use calculus.

Thanks guys, that's great!
Iceman123

Just to clarify, so the engine exerts a force on the exhaust gasses and the gasses exerts a force on the engine which in turn make the plane move. Since the forces are of same magnitude, the gasses gain as much momentum as the plane but in the opposite direction but they move faster because they are much less massive?

In reality, does it happen this way or is it the exhaust gasses that exerts the force on the surrounding air molecules and the air molecules exerts a force on the exahust gases making the plane move? That is, is the exhaust gas from the engine considered as a system with the plane?

al_201314 said:
Just to clarify, so the engine exerts a force on the exhaust gasses and the gasses exerts a force on the engine which in turn make the plane move. Since the forces are of same magnitude, the gasses gain as much momentum as the plane but in the opposite direction but they move faster because they are much less massive?
This is correct.

In reality, does it happen this way or is it the exhaust gasses that exerts the force on the surrounding air molecules and the air molecules exerts a force on the exahust gases making the plane move?
While it's certainly true that the exhaust gases and surrounding air exert forces on each other, that doesn't help the jet move. Once the gases are expelled they cease to exert forces on the jet.

Consider a rocket in empty space. The same principle applies: The rocket expels the exhaust gases, which in turn exert a thrust back on the rocket. No surrounding air to confuse the issue here.

Need Translation

nrqed said:
Of course, there is a force exerted by the gases on the jet, as Doc al correctly pointed out.

How does the jet acquire this momentum? Why does it acquire this momentum? It's because the gas is exerting a force on the jet.

If the momentum of an object changes it's because there is a net force acting on the object. That's simply Newton's second law
[tex] \sum {\vec F} = {d {\vec p} \over dt} [/tex]

OK. I've never taken physics nor have I ever learned calculus, so please bear with my elementary question. I have an ad I have to work on and found your equation which piqued my interest. What would the equation mean if I were to only use the first Greek symbol with the arrow above a word I would replace the F with. I want to send the subliminal message as apart of the ad "for every action there is a reaction" but I was curious what message I would be communicating if I stopped with just those two components of the equation.

not much I'm afraid, the arrow hat only means that the quantity is a vector. A vector is a number or property with an "attitude". It implies that it operates in a specific direction. Thats it.

Need Translation

So does that whole equation represent "for every action there is a reaction"?

Is there a physics/calculus symbol or image that would get that message across?

Actually, the equation represents Newton's second law.
whereas the statement "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" is Newton's third law.

So how is Newton's third law written out as an equation?

there is not an exact equation to express Third law.
The statement "If a body A exerts force F on another body B, then body B exerts a force -F(minus F) on A, the two forces acting along the same line." is alone enough.(as far as i know)

artgirl said:
So how is Newton's third law written out as an equation?
You could write it this way if you liked:
[tex]\vec{F_{a/b}} = - \vec{F_{b/a}}[/tex]

But Sourabh N's statement is more complete.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"?

The phrase "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" is a statement of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every force applied, there is an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction.

2. How does Newton's third law relate to everyday situations?

Newton's third law can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you push a door, the door pushes back on you with an equal force in the opposite direction, allowing you to open the door. Another example is when you walk, your feet push against the ground and the ground pushes back on your feet, propelling you forward.

3. Is Newton's third law always true?

Yes, Newton's third law is a fundamental principle of physics and is always true in a closed system. This means that in a system where there are no external forces acting, the forces will always be equal and opposite.

4. Can you give an example where Newton's third law does not apply?

Newton's third law does not apply in situations where there are external forces present. For example, if you push a box across the floor, the friction between the box and the floor will create an external force that is not equal and opposite to your pushing force.

5. How does Newton's third law affect the motion of objects?

According to Newton's third law, when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other. This means that the motion of one object will affect the motion of the other object. For example, if you push a shopping cart, the cart will push back on you with an equal force, causing it to move in the opposite direction.