Calc Optimization - Point on an ellipse closest to origin.

In summary, the problem asks to find the point on the ellipse x^2 - 2xy + 6y^2 = 10 that is closest to the origin (0,0). The process involves completing the square with respect to y in order to find the minimum distance from the origin.
jbot97

Homework Statement

x^2 - 2xy + 6y^2 = 10
Find the point on the ellipse closest to the origin (0,0).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Absolutely no one in my class can solve this. We've been to the math lab and none of the helpers there know how to solve it. I think the only person who knows how to solve it here is my professor, and he essentially dodges our requests for an example. I know how to solve this if the ellipse is, for example, x^3+4y^2 = 7. The problem is, this ellipse has 2xy in it and I don't know how to solve for y to plug in the distance formula.For x^3 + 4y^2 = 10:

y = [(10-x^3)/4]^.5

D = sq rt {x^2 + [(10-x^3)^.5]^2}

When D is a min, you have the closest point to the origin.

So, I essentially just need to know how to solve x^2 - 2xy + 6y^2 = 10 for y, or an alternate means to solve this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Complete the square with respect to y

Thanks

How do I do that?

It is a rather involved process. I assume you know how to complete the square for something like [itex] ax^2+bx+c [/itex]. In this case treat x as a constant and complete the square for y

I understand how I could take the derivative of that with respect to y... but I have no idea how to go about completing the square like that...

[tex] 6y^2-2xy+x^2 = 6 \left( y^2-\frac{1}{3} xy \right) + x^2 [/tex]
[tex] 6 \left( y^2-\frac{1}{3} xy + \frac{1}{36} x^2 - \frac{1}{36} x^2 \right) + x^2 [/tex]
[tex] 6 \left( y^2-\frac{1}{3} xy + \frac{1}{36} x^2 \right) - \frac{1}{6} x^2 + x^2 [/tex]
[tex] 6 \left( y- \frac{1}{6} x \right)^2 +\frac{5}{6} x^2[/tex]

Edit: Sorry I destroyed the Typesetting so bad, trying to do math in two variables and type set at the same time threw me off

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I think I can figure this one out now.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the point on an ellipse closest to the origin?

Calculating the point on an ellipse closest to the origin is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to determine the minimum distance between the origin and any point on the ellipse, which can be used to optimize designs, solve optimization problems, and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

2. How is the point on an ellipse closest to the origin calculated?

The point on an ellipse closest to the origin is calculated using a mathematical process called minimization. This involves finding the minimum value of a function that represents the distance between the origin and any point on the ellipse. This can be done using various methods such as calculus, linear algebra, or numerical optimization algorithms.

3. What factors affect the location of the point on an ellipse closest to the origin?

The location of the point on an ellipse closest to the origin is affected by the size, shape, and orientation of the ellipse. The parameters of the ellipse, such as the lengths of its major and minor axes, can also have an impact. Additionally, the position and distance of the origin relative to the center of the ellipse can affect the location of the closest point.

4. Can the point on an ellipse closest to the origin be located using only geometric methods?

Yes, it is possible to locate the point on an ellipse closest to the origin using geometric methods. This can be done by constructing a perpendicular line from the origin to the ellipse and finding the point where this line intersects the ellipse. However, for more complex ellipses, it may be necessary to use mathematical calculations or numerical methods to accurately determine the closest point.

5. How can the concept of calculating the point on an ellipse closest to the origin be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of calculating the point on an ellipse closest to the origin has many practical applications. For example, it can be used to optimize the shape and size of satellite orbits, determine the optimal placement of objects in a solar system, or design efficient and stable structures such as bridges or buildings. It can also be used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic and visually appealing ellipses.