Calculating frictional force?

In summary, three identical boxes with a weight of 30 lbs (133 N) each and coefficients of static friction of 0.74 and dynamic friction of 0.64 are subjected to horizontal forces of 80 N, 100 N, and 120 N, respectively. Box 1 does not move due to the applied force being less than the maximum static friction. Boxes 2 and 3 move due to the applied forces being greater than the maximum static friction. To calculate the frictional force in each case, the RN = W equation is used, along with the maximum static friction and dynamic friction equations.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

Three identical boxes sit on concrete floor, each box weighs 30 lbs (133 N). Each has a coefficient of static friction of 0.74 and a coefficient of dynamic friction of 0.64. Horizontal force of 80 N is applied to Box 1, horizontal force of 100 N is applied to Box 2, and horizontal force of 120 N is applied to Box 3.

a.) Do any of the boxes move?
b.)Calculate the actual frictional force elicited between the ground and box in each case. If the boxes move, compute the dynamic friction that resists the sliding. If the boxes do not move, compute the static friction that resists the applied force.
Note: frictional force is not always the maximum.

Homework Equations

a.) F = ma
RNormal- W = ma
RN = W

Fmax = [tex]\mu[/tex]s (RN)

b.) not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I used RN = W to determine that RN = 133 N

Then I used Fmax = [tex]\mu[/tex]s (RN)
Fmax = 0.74 (133)
Fmax = 99 N, the force required to move the box

So Box 1 would not move, Boxes 2 and 3 would move.

b.) This is where I am most confused, I am not sure how to calculate the static and dynamic friction, but I tried anyways:
For Box 1: static friction = [tex]\mu[/tex]s (Fapplied)
=0.74 (80 N)
=59.2 N

I did the same for Box 2 and Box 3, but I multiplied their applied forces times the coefficient of kinetic friction given, 0.64.

Box 2 = 64 N
Box 3 = 76.8 N

Can anyone offer any insight into what I did wrong, or if I did this correctly? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vrobins1 said:
a.) I used RN = W to determine that RN = 133 N

Then I used Fmax = [tex]\mu[/tex]s (RN)
Fmax = 0.74 (133)
Fmax = 99 N, the force required to move the box

So Box 1 would not move, Boxes 2 and 3 would move.
Good.

b.) This is where I am most confused, I am not sure how to calculate the static and dynamic friction, but I tried anyways:
For Box 1: static friction = [tex]\mu[/tex]s (Fapplied)
:yuck:

Hints:
Static friction ≤ μsRN
Dynamic friction = μkRN

Your approach to part a) is correct. For part b), you are on the right track but there are a few things to consider. First, when calculating the static friction, you need to use the maximum possible value, which is given by Fmax = \mus (RN). In this case, for Box 1, the maximum static friction is 99 N, not 59.2 N. For Boxes 2 and 3, the maximum static friction would also be 99 N, since the normal force is the same for all three boxes.

Next, for the dynamic friction, you need to use the actual applied force (not the maximum) and the coefficient of dynamic friction. So for Box 2, the dynamic friction would be 0.64 (100 N) = 64 N. For Box 3, it would be 0.64 (120 N) = 76.8 N.

Overall, your calculations were mostly correct, but just make sure to use the maximum static friction and the actual applied force for the dynamic friction. Also, remember that the maximum static friction is not always the same as the actual static friction, so it is important to use the correct values in your calculations. Keep up the good work!

What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the movement and can slow down or stop an object's motion.

How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force is calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction is a unitless number that depends on the material and surface roughness of the two objects in contact. The normal force is the force perpendicular to the contact surface.

What factors affect the amount of frictional force?

The amount of frictional force depends on several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The coefficient of friction also varies depending on the materials and can be affected by factors such as temperature and lubrication.

What is the difference between static and kinetic frictional force?

Static frictional force occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic frictional force occurs when there is relative motion between the two surfaces. Static frictional force is typically larger than kinetic frictional force, and it takes more force to overcome static friction and initiate motion.

How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between the two surfaces, making the surfaces smoother, and reducing the force pressing the surfaces together. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also reduce frictional force. However, frictional force is necessary for many everyday tasks and cannot be eliminated entirely.